New Harman P68 Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drewster

Oct 17, 2019
Hello everyone. Brand new user to this forum. i have read a few threads on recent stoves i have owned and this forum has always been helpful to me with my Whitefield Advantage 2 insert. Upgrading to a P68 Harman that i got for a steal and the original owner states that he put in a new igniter but he says when he gets through burning a pot of pellets the unit powers off and he has to unplug it for a few minutes and it will work again. Any Harman owners experience this before?

Attached are a couple pictures of the unit. cant wait to get it hooked up and running! =)

Attachments

• IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8711.jpg
    IMG_8711.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 160
Once my XXV did that after power went out. Had to unplug and plug back in. I use Surge Protector and Inverter/Charger and now zero problems. I think it was frequency of line. Has not done it since.

Once my XXV did that after power went out. Had to unplug and plug back in. I use Surge Protector and Inverter/Charger and now zero problems. I think it was frequency of line. Has not done it since.

Thanks for the reply Dataman, Which surge protector and Inverter/Charger do you have? or recommend? Ive never heard of an Inverter/Charger before. sounds like this might be a good step to take when i install it

I got Aims 1250 I/C and 100ah battery. I posted real world results. It can run it 6 hours on 1/2 fan speed. Yikes it has gone UP in price since last year. Was about 400 bucks. https://www.aimscorp.net/1250-watt-low-frequency-pure-sine-inverter-charger-12-vdc-to-120-vac.html
Amazon product ASIN B014SHIPUC
Surge is Obsolete now. I highly recommend surge protector. So does Harmon. Battery backup is so I can have heat when power is out. I have 7k Genny too. Access to 2 other batteries. 35ah and 70ah.

Google and read up on your P68 manual. Hopefully the seller gave you a manual but they are online too. There are recommendations by Harman as to which battery backup surges use. I have an APC BE 705G made by Schneider Electric. Works great.

It shouldn't power off unless you are running on Auto Room Temp and it has satisfied the temperature you set it for.

There is a good write up in the Sticky section, see the one called;
How Your Harman Works -what your manual doesn't tell you
Enjoy your new stove

Thanks for all the replies, stove is installed and running and havent noticed any issues with it not sure what the seller was having issues with but the stove works awesome and supplies more than enough heat for the house, simply amazing. Only annoying thing with harman is they put a odd size exhaust outlet for the piping seems like a money grab to me all other stoves ive installed just uses the direct flex pipe, you dont have to go searching for coupler pieces which cost me $60 for 2 little pieces so i can adapt my existing 3" flex pipe to the stove.. other than that i love the stove.

Thanks for all the replies, stove is installed and running and havent noticed any issues with it not sure what the seller was having issues with but the stove works awesome and supplies more than enough heat for the house, simply amazing. Only annoying thing with harman is they put a odd size exhaust outlet for the piping seems like a money grab to me all other stoves ive installed just uses the direct flex pipe, you dont have to go searching for coupler pieces which cost me $60 for 2 little pieces so i can adapt my existing 3" flex pipe to the stove.. other than that i love the stove.
Wait, you hooked flex pipe directly to the exhaust?

These are the 2 pieces harman and duravent told me to get in order to make it work with flex pipe but I need a bigger stronger band because it doesn’t stay on well even with 2 of the stealer style straps

duravent harman adapter- 3pvp-adhb
Duravent flex pipe adapter- 3pvp-adff

bought them both from coastal farm and supply they had them in stock. Here’s what it looks like. But like I said the harman adapter with 2 clamps on it still will fall of if pulled with little force..

Attachments

• 9DDD469E-DF54-480C-885E-92D95E9211D2.jpeg
    9DDD469E-DF54-480C-885E-92D95E9211D2.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 117
Drill a hole on each side through the appliance adapter and the tailpipe, dab it with some high temp silicone then zip two self tapping screws into it.

I use some real short self tapping 5/16s but if you predrill you could probably use 1/4. You just want them long enough to hold it but not so long that they catch your brush when you brush your pipe. Bye, make sure you pull your esp before you brush your exhaust if your brushing it from the ash pan area which is what I do.

Could also use a bottle washer.,( soft brislle brush with long handle) on the esp and not remove it. Many here do just that. Works fine.

Reactions: bags
Could also use a bottle washer.,( soft brislle brush with long handle) on the esp and not remove it. Many here do just that. Works fine.
Usually the esp has soft powdery ash on it so a few gentle back and forths with the brush removes it.

If you brush the pipe from the front with the esp still in it you will likely snap it off. I pull esps to clean them and they always look brand new when I’m done. Will they work if you just brush them off? Probably, but I get paid to clean them so I get them clean.

Reactions: Ssyko
If you brush the pipe from the front with the esp still in it you will likely snap it off. I pull esps to clean them and they always look brand new when I’m done. Will they work if you just brush them off? Probably, but I get paid to clean them so I get them clean.
I understand. I think you misunderstood me, as I was pertaining to gently brushing the ESP only. I use a flat vacuum extension to get the ash out of the pipe. Yes it would probably break if you vigorously brush that tunnel out with a brush. I do pull it once a year and wipe it down with alcohol to where it's nice and shiny again.