1st Season Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Did a cleaning of my Harmon XXV. We put Stub Solid Pipe on the end of the Oak. We had Alumn Tubing in the middle. This way the flimsily tubing does not get buggered up. Made doing the 1Ton Cleaning Easier.

I also use Wing Nuts in Place of the Harmon Bolts (Hardware Store).

Update: Had our 1st Power Outage. Inverter Picked up the Load and Stove Kept on Going for appx 5 hours and then power restored for couple hours. Then out again for few more hours. System was able to fast recharge 100ah battery and be ready to run without hickup. AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger with
Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind AGM SLA DEEP Cycle VRLA Battery 12V 24V 48V

Attachments

• 3VP-12.png
    3VP-12.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 219
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 20191026_113940.jpg
    20191026_113940.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 20191026_114053.jpg
    20191026_114053.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
Which bolts did you replace with wing nuts? How much ash did you get from cleaning the pipe from 1 ton?

Which bolts did you replace with wing nuts? How much ash did you get from cleaning the pipe from 1 ton?
I replaced the nuts that hold on the back panels on XXV. I got about 1/2 the pan full of ash and nothing from the pipe (almost that). Burning pretty good pellets and any ash stays in the stove (North Idaho Energy Logs Pellets). All Pine since that is all we have where I live.

Sounds like a good install. I have an XXV with vertical stack kit to 7' of 6" pipe going into 16' of 8" straight vertical out the roof.
Just cleaned it and I got about a quart of ash from the pipe. Pipes looked pretty clean but there was thin layer of ash caked on the pipe
and my pipes have a lot of surface area so it added up. Plus there may have been a little creosote left over from my old wood stove.
The blower area didn't seem too bad but cleaned up easily. Burning Bear Mountain fir pellets. Might have gotten a full pan of ash total for 2 tons but I always emptied it when it got 1/4 full so not sure.
Does your stove exit out the wall with a short stack?

I replaced Blaze King King last year with Harmon XXV. I have 8" stack and it's about 25ft I bet. Cleanout on bottom. Used to do it monthly (hey gotta keep busy retired since age 41). Would still be burning wood if I had not screwed up my shoulder. Pellets are so much easier and lots more expensive. Buy hey cheaper than Elec in Winter.

I would love to have a straight shot of the same size pipe up through the roof with a clean out at the bottom.
But I would have re-pipe. I have to disassemble sections to clean pipes and the vertical kit on the back of the stove.
I did get tired of cleaning my wood stove chimney every month in the winter. So I appreciate the ease of the pellet stove
and how much cleaner it runs.
I don't have an oak kit (leaky house) but the stove works great. Had ours a couple years now and wouldn't want to go back.
Cheers

We use a muffler adapter for our Harman.
See Pics here.

Last edited:
Did a cleaning of my Harmon XXV. We put Stub Solid Pipe on the end of the Oak. We had Alumn Tubing in the middle. This way the flimsily tubing does not get buggered up. Made doing the 1Ton Cleaning Easier.

I also use Wing Nuts in Place of the Harmon Bolts (Hardware Store).

Update: Had our 1st Power Outage. Inverter Picked up the Load and Stove Kept on Going for appx 5 hours and then power restored for couple hours. Then out again for few more hours. System was able to fast recharge 100ah battery and be ready to run without hickup. AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger with
Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind AGM SLA DEEP Cycle VRLA Battery 12V 24V 48V

Ive been wanting to get an inverter/charger for sometime now. But they all seem to have major faults after only a few years. Not sure if I want that expense every 2-3 years