Doubled my Inverter Backup Power - Any Experience with Mixing 1 Year old Battery with New One?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
On my AIMS 1250 I put in another 100ah Battery for 200ah. Last power outage we squeaked by by going to Generator Battery (used to start it). We had 8 hours downtime. Each 100AH battery should get 6 hours.

The 1st Battery (Sep 2018 New) ran for 6 hours and Inverter started beeping. (Beeping - Low Battery Trip Point is selectable at 10.0/10.5VDC). This battery only had 2 Discharge Cycles. One Test and one 4 hour use. Rest of the time float charge or disconnected.

I know your not suppose to use New and Old Batteries together. Anyone have any experience with using just 1 year old battery with New One?

Attachments

• 20200120_141747.jpg
    20200120_141747.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 130
We have a small solar PV (~440 AH battery) on a detached garage. I originally built it with 220 AH, then needed to expand, as you do. No data, but I expected the old batteries to drag down the new one to about their level, and I think that's about what happened.

Solar is different -- batteries get down to 70% or so regularly, but they also get EQ cycles monthly (or so) to try to balance things out.

Your batteries are AGM, mine are FLA, so there may be some differences I don't know about between my situation and yours. Floating an AGM for a year and four months might not take much out of it. I never saw 10.5v, though (that's low -- ouch!).