My Greenish Power Project and Updating a Few Grid Cords

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We've never tried or needed to charge the car by generator. That would be level 1 charging, very slow. Instead, i take a proactive measures like I will do this week and charge the car up before a major weather or outage event. That can last us a few weeks with just local driving. The V2L consumption is TBD, but reports that I have read is that with moderation of loads, it can last a couple weeks and still have say 10 or 20% charge left. We'll see. That's something I will be tracking. We have several camping led lights that will get charged up this week too. When the power is out for many hours, I disconnect the main and shut off all 220v breakers, then backfeed into the house.
I bought this big boy battery. 35A charger. I also have that 20A DC-DC charger. I have a 100W solar panel, and gens. Not expecting an outage, but we had high winds today, and we could get an island blackout pretty easily.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] My Greenish Power Project and Updating a Few Grid Cords
    IMG_5008.webp
    196.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
I bought this big boy battery. 35A charger. I also have that 20A DC-DC charger. I have a 100W solar panel, and gens. Not expecting an outage, but we had high winds today, and we could get an island blackout pretty easily.
I'm going to look into solar-grid-tied battery systems. We aren't getting any younger and have 4.5kW of solar, but it is grid-tied only. It hurts during an outage that we can't utilize the rays.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
I'm going to look into solar-grid-tied battery systems. We aren't getting any younger and have 4.5kW of solar, but it is grid-tied only. It hurts during an outage that we can't utilize the rays.
I read or heard that in the future,car batteries would be so big (and house inverters) that you could use your solar system with just your car and power your house (or part of it). I guess you you need a genset to charge the car, or a hybred, when the sun is out. Would make sense in the summer to cut the utility bills.