New Hearth Extension from scratch. Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlaskaNorth

Sep 8, 2022
Alaska
Demo'd my existing hearth and extension in prep for a Valcourt Waterloo zero clearance arriving next week. The fireplace will go where a builder prefab is currently. We'd like to retain an elevated hearth extension. I'm clear on R values and the requirements. I'm either going to use the existing block that remains from the brick hearth I tore out. Or...use metal studs to frame that section. What we're looking to do is extend our about 18 inches. Height 16". Width will be from wall to wall. At each side there will be built ins for wood storage. The hearth extension will be flush/level with the built ins. What I'm going back and forth over is what type of hearth. I'm in Alaska..materials are difficult to come by. Even finding the stone veneer I want has been a challenge with no solution yet. Most businesses don't ship to Alaska or charge an arm and a leg.

One option is making concrete slabs but that requires some skill to get the right look. They'd have to be created in forms and carried in. Too hard to pour in place elevated.

If money and sourcing were not a factor, I'd veneer the bottom of the extension and have large slab stone as the cap.

Other option is tile, but tile in my opinion won't fit the look or durability we're going for. Unless it was some large heavy duty slate look. Tile would be the easiest.

I've tried to source cap stones locally...not happening. Brick is out, don't want it.

My question is for those of you who have been here before, any suggestions? Ideas, thoughts, creative solutions? See pictures for current state of affairs.

20220924_222358.jpg 20220924_222342.jpg 20220924_222330.jpg 20220924_181406.jpg

Slate look porcelain tile was pretty cheap from the local big box store, that's what I used for my hearth extension. It's plenty durable, and has the feel/texture/look of real slate, but it is in a regular 12" x 24" shape rather than flagstone. You can also get concrete-look tiles if you prefer. I'd probably stick with larger tiles to give more of a heavy duty vibe - if you snap cut the 12" x 24" to two 8" x 24" (or whatever after the capstone) and did a double layer, I think that would look nice. For the top, see if you can find travertine pavers or pool copings (often available at big box stores) - you might not be able to do one whole slab, but you should be able to get by with just a couple of joints.

Porcelain tile is very tough. If that is what is available, then check it out.

Stop by the local Home Sleepo and see what they stock.

Stop by the local Home Sleepo and see what they stock.
I'm in Alaska The stock is pretty limited. Home Depot also will not ship anything to store in Alaska which is really annoying. They won't even ship small stuff. My only options are a couple 12x24 tiles that I really don't like I think I'm going to make my own concrete molds and do my best

My only options are a couple 12x24 tiles that I really don't like I think I'm going to make my own concrete molds and do my best
That could work. It can be stained and polished if desired. A sheet of metal would also work. Or maybe a field trip to collect flat river stones?

I had thought about the sourcing of local stones but we have predominantly round river rock. Flat rock naturally is not common here.

Is this place within driving distance?
or here?