New hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
So I wanted to increase the R-value of the hearth in front of my existing fireplace insert in masonry chimney. I just got in the mail the hearth board itself which is a type 2 hearth pad. It’s one of those times that fits the existing heart almost perfectly and is right up against the insert the fan at floor level. I noticed the pad itself is pretty dusty, as the material it’s made of is mainly a fiberboard of some sort. I always run the insert fan When insert is in use. Once I wipe down the hearth pad for use, would it be expected that indoor air quality Will be an issue? I ask this because I’m wondering if the fan will be pulling in some of the dustiness of the fiberboard. Thanks in advance for your input.

So I wanted to increase the R-value of the hearth in front of my existing fireplace insert in masonry chimney. I just got in the mail the hearth board itself which is a type 2 hearth pad. It’s one of those times that fits the existing heart almost perfectly and is right up against the insert the fan at floor level. I noticed the pad itself is pretty dusty, as the material it’s made of is mainly a fiberboard of some sort. I always run the insert fan When insert is in use. Once I wipe down the hearth pad for use, would it be expected that indoor air quality Will be an issue? I ask this because I’m wondering if the fan will be pulling in some of the dustiness of the fiberboard. Thanks in advance for your input.
It shouldn't be a source of dust. Was the dust coming from the backer board? What is to top covering?

The backer board is covered by a thin metal. It definitely appeared To be dust from backer board. Wasn’t sure if this dust would continue to be created.
C3B36A6B-625E-4164-823E-1B58A5A8FAD8.jpeg0997D8A2-848A-46DA-B3A9-E56806A280F2.jpeg

I don't think it will be a continual problem. If concerned you could seal it with some high temp paint.

I have the same board. It doesn’t make any dust. Dust does settle on it and need occasional dusting/mopping

Thanks guys, that is what I figured, but good to hear that that is the case.