New heat pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Heat pumps are great. I would NEVER have them as the only source of heat. I do not want the heart of heat to be outside. Mice are an issue, weather is an issue. Plus parts can take weeks to get, thats why they change them out rather than repair. A $150 board fails and it might take 2 weeks to get in, How many people can go 2 weeks with no heat? So they spend 4 grand for a new condenser. Also the outside coil should be cleaned at least every other year, some locations every year, maybe twice a year for HP.

Reactions: Zeus
Mostly agree....those two weeks in January with strip heat backup can get pretty expensive.

That said, I hose off my outdoor coil every now and then, at it looks the same before and after. Not buying the 2X a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly agree....those two seeks in January with strip heat backup can get pretty expensive.
Which is why a solid fuel stove(wood ,coal ,pellet)stove and a heatpump are a good combination. Anyone can care for a solid fuel stove a few weeks a year. Also a wood stove is a good backup heat source in a no power situation without a generator or with an unreliable generator.

Reactions: Ashful
Mostly agree....those two weeks in January with strip heat backup can get pretty expensive.

That said, I hose off my outdoor coil every now and then, at it looks the same before and after. Not buying the 2X a year.
It's always good to have a backup heat source for outages, especially in areas where they are more common, though we lived 10 yrs in Seattle at our last house without one and we were fine. The combo of a good wood stove and a heat pump is close to perfect for our heating needs.

As for the service, our heat pump has been great. Almost zero service other than air filter changes. FWIW the outdoor coil has never been cleaned. Guess after 12 years I should wash it down. Mice, have never been an issue and we used to be besieged by mice and rats before the new foundation was put in.

It's always good to have a backup heat source for outages, especially in areas where they are more common, though we lived 10 yrs in Seattle at our last house without one and we were fine. The combo of a good wood stove and a heat pump is close to perfect for our heating needs.

As for the service, our heat pump has been great. Almost zero service other than air filter changes. FWIW the outdoor coil has never been cleaned. Guess after 12 years I should wash it down. Mice, have never been an issue and we used to be besieged by mice and rats before the new foundation was put in.

All situations are different I agree. I installed a unit for the neighbor, After the AC season was over I had a visit, Noticed the coil was covered in crude, you could not see the fins at all. That unit would not heat for crap in winter if not cleaned. Pollen and dandelion feathers were the culprit. I have also seen a plugged coil that LOOKED new. Using coil cleaner and spraying water from the INSIDE out, Left a trail of mud/coffee for 50 ft. Your surroundings is what determines cleaning, not use.

All situations are different I agree. I installed a unit for the neighbor, After the AC season was over I had a visit, Noticed the coil was covered in crude, you could not see the fins at all. That unit would not heat for crap in winter if not cleaned. Pollen and dandelion feathers were the culprit. I have also seen a plugged coil that LOOKED new. Using coil cleaner and spraying water from the INSIDE out, Left a trail of mud/coffee for 50 ft. Your surroundings is what determines cleaning, not use.
Good stuff guys keep the info flowing,would it be better to blow out the coils with air compressor the guy who installed the unit suggested not to use the pressure washer to clean the outside unit?

Outdoor condenser coils cleaning directions:
  1. Make sure the unit has been turned off at the source (shut-off switch or breaker box)
  2. Clear the area around the condenser (you may want to put on gloves for this)
  3. Remove the outer heat pump cover (you may need a screwdriver for this)
  4. Remove the top grille and fan (if you can)
  5. Wipe down the condenser coils with condenser coil cleaner or a solution of soap and water
  6. Use a garden hose to wash it from the outside (hit the fins head on, not at an angle)
  7. Use a fin comb to straighten out any bent consider fins
  8. Put the top grille and heat pump cover back into place
  9. Turn power back on and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
https://blog.happyhiller.com/blog/how-to-clean-heat-pump-condenser-coils

Reactions: Zeus and Ashful
Good stuff guys keep the info flowing,would it be better to blow out the coils with air compressor the guy who installed the unit suggested not to use the pressure washer to clean the outside unit?
This is wrong, you want to spray from the inside out. Push the crap out the way it came in. otherwise you can compress it in the coil. Coil cleaner is a must.

A pressure washer will just smash the fins over and block the coil from ever working. Be gentle, remove the obstruction, don’t create a bigger problem.

Even car radiators and ac condensers are often ruined by some idiot with a pressure washer.

A pressure washer will just smash the fins over and block the coil from ever working. Be gentle, remove the obstruction, don’t create a bigger problem.

Even car radiators and ac condensers are often ruined by some idiot with a pressure washer.
Electric pressure washers work great for this.

This is wrong, you want to spray from the inside out. Push the crap out the way it came in. otherwise you can compress it in the coil. Coil cleaner is a must.
So take off the front cover use the hose with nozzle off the hose spraying the coil from inside out?now I'm assuming that you don't want to get the fan motor wet?

So take off the front cover use the hose with nozzle off the hose spraying the coil from inside out?now I'm assuming that you don't want to get the fan motor wet?
Take the front cover off, spray with nozzle on, 1st spray with coil cleaner using a garden sprayer. Its ok to get the motor wet but easier to clean the coil if you remove it. 2 or 4 screws at the bottom of the bracket and the whole thing comes off.

Take the front cover off, spray with nozzle on, 1st spray with coil cleaner using a garden sprayer. Its ok to get the motor wet but easier to clean the coil if you remove it. 2 or 4 screws at the bottom of the bracket and the whole thing comes off.
Thanks stihly I will take a look at the outside unit tomorrow see how the fan comes off so I know how to do it when the time comes.

image.png
What do you guys think of this cleaner found it at lowes or do you recommend something better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I'm really enjoying my heat pump, this time of year it's chilly in the morning and hot in the afternoon. It maintains the set temp 24/7 don't have to touch a thing it's always a comfortable temp. So far happy with my purchase.

Reactions: woodgeek
I have to say I'm really enjoying my heat pump, this time of year it's chilly in the morning and hot in the afternoon. It maintains the set temp 24/7 don't have to touch a thing it's always a comfortable temp. So far happy with my purchase.

And the COP is about 4 in both directions.

I'll have to keep an eye on the coils to see how often to clean,pretty shiny right now since it's still new. I'm hoping I'll still be impressed when the cold temps come this winter, although I'm hoping winter comes late this year.