New here - help with Avatar? and 2 more questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twoblackdogz

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
NC Piedmont
Hi - I've been browsing this website for a few days and registered yesterday. I'm glad I found this site. I've burned wood my whole life - we used a traditional fireplace for a while then an appalachian woodstove. Now, on my own, for the past 14 years I have heavily burned wood in a dumb old prefab fireplace- always wanted a woodstove or insert. A month ago I had my Regency R90 fireplace installed. WOW! Now after reading this website I'm finding I still have a lot to learn about burning a fire in a woodstove. For now - I have two questions (actually 3). I've spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to add an avatar - thought I had it resized properly by Picasa but I must be doing something wrong. How can I get my avatar uploaded? Keeps saying it's not in the correct form but it is jpeg. Second question is, what are "secondary flames"? I don't like to ask a common question that has been answered elsewhere on the site but cannot find the answer. Also, never heard of using a thermometer. Where would I put a thermometer on my relatively flat fireplace? I've already learned from this site that my glass will stay cleaner if I leave the draft open a little more than I have been!
OK, my luck with photos this morning is not good but I'm trying to attach a photo to see if I can get that to work.

Attachments

• fp1.JPG
    fp1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 183
Thanks! I have seen secondary flames in my fireplace but didn't know they were called that.

I'll have to keep working on the avatar. I have read the link on photos, and I have the avatar saved locally on my computer. Just not able to upload it. Maybe I'll try it from a different computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.