New here, with a hearth trim question!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.D

Sep 18, 2006
Ok, so we had a traditional 70's brick fireplace with raised open hearth. Removed the brick and installed cultured stone (very nice)........... we decided to close in the open raised hearth and are planning to apply the same stone to it. The top of the hearth was done very poorly in slate so we removed that and are re-leveling it with cement.

Question is: We would like to trim the hearth in wood to match our mantel. Is this advisable? The hearth is 16" from the firebox and our "trim" is not standard moulding size, more like a 2 x 4. I looked at loads of pics and sites on the net and could find nothing.

Please Help!!!

Mrs.D

What is the size of your fireplace? You need either a 16" or 20" hearth. You should be able to install the trim with no worries so long as the trim does not impede on the 16" non-combustible area in front of fireplace.

Thanks, for the responses so far.
Here are the dimensions of the fireplace: firebox -32"H x 21.5" D x 29" W (firebrick extends 3.5" outside the firebox onto hearth, hearth is 16" from edge of firebrick). Overall (rough) fireplace dimensions are 78" x 42"

Thanks in advance!!

Mrs.D

I'm not a pro-I'm sure they will chime in with better advice, but here goes. I think you would be OK with vertical trim 16 inches on a raised hearth in front of the stove, the vertical surface is not exposed to radiant heat from the stove, and the resulting horizontal area (I'm assuming thats the 1 1/2 inch dim) wouldn't absorb that much. I'd be more concerned if this were say only 16 inches to a floor, with the stove on a low hearth. Part of the 16 inch front requirement in front is to handle any sparks when loading.

On a related note, you mentioned that you removed the slate from the top surface of the hearth, and are releveling it with cement. Is the cement going to remain your finish material? You mentioned using Cultured Stone for the rest of the job, have you looked at their "Hearthstones"? They would cover this surface and maybe give you an exposed edge you would like, without incorporating combustables.

Bri

In addition, I'd love to see pics if you get the chance to post any.

Thanks for the post Bri!!

The self-leveling cement will be our finished hearth material. Adding hearth stones is not possible as currently the hearth is a giant slab of concrete that runs through the fireplace and is attached to our exterior. I don't think the trim will be a problem given the responses I've already had. It will only be on the very front not an "L" cap moulding. Another idea we had was too just run the stone right up to the hearth edge but, we liked the idea of a wood trim that matched the mantle hence my question. We haven't got to that stage yet so, who knows we might change our mind once we get there just thought I'd drum up some info before starting!!

We've gone for a very rustic "ski-lodge" look with "cobblestone" and a distressed pine beam for a mantle. I will post before and after pics once we're done!!!

Thanks,

Mrs.D

According to code and this only addreses the fireplace not the addition of a stove. Your size falls in the 16" front hearth size

6" from the opening for side mantal moldings and 12" above the opening for mantal cap. Now if to plan to put a stove in there, other than a flush mount insert, but one that extend out, you will have clearance to combustiable issues with the mantal.

Status
Not open for further replies.