New Here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aufeis

Jul 28, 2020
North Pole, Ak
Hello everybody,

I have recently moved into a house with a wood stove. The wood stove is an England stove works 12fp. I am not very familiar with epa compliant woodstoves and I figured I'd look around for info. It seems like when I looked into the fire box that there are no secondary burn tubes in this model, is that correct? I have fired it up a couple times just for fun on a couple chilly mornings and it lights easy enough. Just smokes more than I would prefer out of the stack and the glass got hazy after every burn. I don't have a stack thermometer on this thing. I haven't used a wood stove in years so advice would be appreciated. I am burning dead standing spruce so far, about 6in diameter as that's what i have currently.

12FP is not "EPA" stove...no secondary burn...even if it did, wood has to be DRY for things to work properly...

Ok thanks. I mistakenly thought the tag on the back saying it was tested was an epa thing and the manuals I found online didn't mention it one way or the other that I saw.
The wood is dry. My smoke measuring metric was based off a couple friends epa stoves that dont put out any smoke. Me fiddling with it is probably why its fogging up the glass.

Ok thanks. I mistakenly thought the tag on the back saying it was tested was an epa thing and the manuals I found online didn't mention it one way or the other that I saw.
The wood is dry. My smoke measuring metric was based off a couple friends epa stoves that dont put out any smoke. Me fiddling with it is probably why its fogging up the glass.

What makes you think the wood was dry? Smoke and gunking up the glass are most likely wet wood. Did you check the wood with a moisture meter?

Welcome to the Hearth!

Be sure to look around and use the search feature--many of the folks on here have been heating
with wood a good long time. :) The accumulation of experience on this site is invaluable!
I'm still finding 'new to me' information on here!

What makes you think the wood was dry? Smoke and gunking up the glass are most likely wet wood. Did you check the wood with a moisture meter?
Yes, wood that "seems" dry often is not dry inside. It's also possible that the stove either has weak draft due to warmer outside temps + short chimney and/or is being run with too little air and a smoldering fire.

Hello, sorry for the slow reply. The wood has been drying for 2.5 years. I did not check it with a moisture meter. I was fiddling with the damper and whatnot after I got it going to see if it had some kind of secondary burn feature. Which I now know it doesn't have.