New here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattyfat1

Nov 8, 2008
SW WASHINGTON
just pulled the plug on a BK princess for the main room in our home. hope its not overkill, but the wife blew through 4 cords of wood last year feeding a fireplace, and with the amount of work it is to collect that much wood, I am hoping I made the right choice. I like collecting wood, but can't stand to see all that sweat going up the chimney by the armload! I have been very happy with my lopi revere which is in our finished basement, but this insert will more than likely burn 24/7 december through march, and another revere upstairs isn't the answer. it is efficient, but will get little use compared to upstairs, where we spend most of our time. any advice would be greatly appreciated. it's not to late to back out, I have until wed. 11/12

Well one thing for sure you won't be burning 4 cords with that cat stove...and you won't be missing that fireplace either. There's more of a learning curve with cats so be patient ...put those 2nd thoughts aside you made a good choice.

I'm looking forward to hearing the progress of the installation of this unit, and the comparison with the others you have had. The BK Princess in a freestanding stove is my choice, just got to collect the money for it.

I think you'll love that stove. Like savage said, ther is a learning curve with the cat stoves. Read up about how the catalytic combustors work in wood stoves and you'll be cruisin (for hours and hours and hours...on a single load!)

Speaking of using fuel in a cat. stove, we went from using from 4-6 cords or more down to less than 3 last winter after installing the Fireview, which is a cat. stove. We love it.

thanks, everyone. I'm pretty excited. it looks like a great stove, just not real pretty. ;) I had no Idea there were other wood junkies like myself. sometimes i have three going at once! upstairs, down stairs, and out in the yard if i'm working out there! I thought it was a sickness. plus my addiction to chainsaws, hyd. log splitters, my BEAUTIFUL (to me) woodshed full of wood that i sometimes just go stand in so i can smell and admire the stacks. rating every truck i see with "how much wood can it haul?" i feel like i'm home..........................

It is a sickness! :lol: Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of company here.

fattyfat1 said:
just pulled the plug on a BK princess for the main room in our home. hope its not overkill, but the wife blew through 4 cords of wood last year feeding a fireplace, and with the amount of work it is to collect that much wood, I am hoping I made the right choice. I like collecting wood, but can't stand to see all that sweat going up the chimney by the armload! I have been very happy with my lopi revere which is in our finished basement, but this insert will more than likely burn 24/7 december through march, and another revere upstairs isn't the answer. it is efficient, but will get little use compared to upstairs, where we spend most of our time. any advice would be greatly appreciated. it's not to late to back out, I have until wed. 11/12

Welcome. It's good to have another left-coaster here.

Status
Not open for further replies.