New Heritage needs tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bjrpkr

Feb 17, 2019
MISSOURI
We’ve been burning wood for 40 years in an old Tmberline. Great stove but was ready to try the efficient soapstone. Man is this different! I’m not used to restricted air flow or needing to open the door to get fire hot enough. It seems when I add wood sometimes the fire cools off and I need to leave door open for a while for it to catch. Anyone have tips to keeping fire up to temp? Also since it’s new any chance of issue with restriction in air passage? Once I get to temp though, it’s sweet.

For the most part I run my Hearthstone with the air intake shut down as far as it will go. I leave the door open a tich when I start it, close the door when I have good ignition, move the damper lever to the middle for a little while, and then close it down. I crack the door open to let it breath a bit prior to opening it to put another piece in. As long as I have hot coals, I do not leave the door open or move the damper from the closed position.

This is a second stove, and I do not heat a large area with it.

We’ve been burning wood for 40 years in an old Tmberline. Great stove but was ready to try the efficient soapstone. Man is this different! I’m not used to restricted air flow or needing to open the door to get fire hot enough. It seems when I add wood sometimes the fire cools off and I need to leave door open for a while for it to catch. Anyone have tips to keeping fire up to temp? Also since it’s new any chance of issue with restriction in air passage? Once I get to temp though, it’s sweet.

Congrats on moving into new stove tech. It will be a learning curve that takes some patience. Your best bet to begin with is using the search option here to get a handle on your moisture content in your fuel supply. Your new stove will function correctly on splits with a much lower moisture content than the old stove. It just means that you need to season your fuel considerably longer. Welcome to Hearth. This is a great resource. Enjoy.

Where are you located?

It sounds like your wood supply might be a bit wet still. How long has it been cut and stacked?

Your chimney might be an alternative reason for your difficulty. Does it go straight up and out the roof? How long is it? Any bends?

I ran 30 cords through my hearthstone heritage as a primary heater 100% wood heat for several years. They’re pretty and perform as advertised.

Load that thing to the roof with smaller wood, 3-5” across the butt. The problem with stone is it takes forever to heat up from cold before it starts making substantial heat for your room. During that time you risk overheating the flue because you’re on high intake settings for so long. I recommend a flue temperature gauge so that you can prevent this.

Note that there is a pretty low maximum stove temperature for these particular stoves. You need to buy a stove top gauge to set on the stove and stay below the manufacturer’s maximum temperature. I recall the heritage was just 550 but check.

Your best comfort is achieved when keeping the stove warm. Don’t let it get cold where you need to catch up. The stone is actually a drawback for heating but it sure looks good.

Congrats on moving into new stove tech. It will be a learning curve that takes some patience. Your best bet to begin with is using the search option here to get a handle on your moisture content in your fuel supply. Your new stove will function correctly on splits with a much lower moisture content than the old stove. It just means that you need to season your fuel considerably longer. Welcome to Hearth. This is a great resource. Enjoy.

Where are you located?

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Missouri. And yes I think my wood may be a bit moist. It's been down a year but it was a big white oak and had some dote on the outside. I typically keep my wood in a shed and well dried. This winter was BAD for rain and slop so I'm into a little iffy wood. It seems what I've read so far is that dry wood is the key. The Timberline didn't care. So I'm learning.

It sounds like your wood supply might be a bit wet still. How long has it been cut and stacked?

Your chimney might be an alternative reason for your difficulty. Does it go straight up and out the roof? How long is it? Any bends?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I think wood has a little moisture. I'll correct that in future. Pipe has one bend before chimney (8" triple wall). Chimney is 24' so available draft should be OK. Timberline didn't care about moist wood. This stove does so advice taken. Thanks.

I ran 30 cords through my hearthstone heritage as a primary heater 100% wood heat for several years. They’re pretty and perform as advertised.

Load that thing to the roof with smaller wood, 3-5” across the butt. The problem with stone is it takes forever to heat up from cold before it starts making substantial heat for your room. During that time you risk overheating the flue because you’re on high intake settings for so long. I recommend a flue temperature gauge so that you can prevent this.

Note that there is a pretty low maximum stove temperature for these particular stoves. You need to buy a stove top gauge to set on the stove and stay below the manufacturer’s maximum temperature. I recall the heritage was just 550 but check.

Your best comfort is achieved when keeping the stove warm. Don’t let it get cold where you need to catch up. The stone is actually a drawback for heating but it sure looks good.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I might have to use smaller wood. Does seem to work better when I use it. I'll have to go back and split up my wood pile a bit more now!

Thanks for the reply. I thought I might have to use smaller wood. Does seem to work better when I use it. I'll have to go back and split up my wood pile a bit more now!

Give it a try! Of course, these epa stoves want really dry wood too. Even on my short 12’ chimney the heritage spent lots of time with the air control fully closed once it was up to temp.

I agree with Highbeam.
One thing I can add is simply don't let it die down too far. I add wood when the bed is still red hot (I believe they call it "coaling stage").
The only time I have to catch-up or restart is in the mornings because I'm too lazy to get out of bed and feed the fire.

It's not our primary heat but it does keep the furnace from running constantly.