New house hopes, and an excuse for a free standing stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Right now, i'm renting a house, that has two wood stoves (thank god) and I'm growing to REALLY LOVE burning wood.

I would like to buy a house, I have the option to buy this one but it needs ALOT of work. Given my public safety job I don't have a ton of time for, well, remodling.

Anywho, got talking to a friend of mine and his mother is going to sell her house. It's 200 square feet, three level with the basement included. It's old, but they are right smack dab in the middle of a remodel. It looks GREAT.

They had a gas furnace, and AC put in about a year ago. It keeps that house toasty warm. But, being a wood burner at heart I want to put a stove in. The single flue manonry chimney is being used up by the furnace "yes, it's lined."

There is no hearth anywhere in the house. I found the perfect spot for a stove. It's a very open floor plan, with no wall between the living room and kitchen, just a nice double door entry way. I'm thinking this would be a good spot for the stove, in between the two.

So, what kind of stove should I start looking at? I understand that I wont get much heat upstairs. I might get lucky and could move some with a fan, but we'll see. I want to keep the downstairs nice and warm and it's a BIG open room.

The reason I ask now, is the wife and I are figuring out the budget. How much for a washer and dryer, other house things, and a stove. She says a stove is a must, and I agree.

Lets here some thoughts, so her and I can research when she gets home from work :)

Talking to the guy that's doing the remodle, it might be a good time to put it in!

You said 200 square feet, three levels...I gotta think you left a zero off there somewhere. A floor plan diagram would help, doesn't have to be anything fancy. A hearth suitable for a freestanding stove can be built right over the top of wood subflooring, in any number of pleasing ways. The stovepipe can go straight up through the ceiling, transition to Class A chimney and on up to daylight as high as required. We need to know some more stuff about your houe, your expectations, and maybe your budget...then we can suggest all sorts of things. Pics are always very helpful. Pretty exciting to be able to build your house just the way you want it to be, eh? Rick

VERY exciting. yeah, it's 2000 square feet, i'll get some pics up soon. It's very, very exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.