New house new boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenman

Jan 4, 2009
Monmouth
Building a new 28x36 cape with an attached 26x26 2 car garage master bedroom over garage. Am planning on Forced hot water heat and have been toying with an oil/wood combo boiler or wood/gas boiler and even a pellet boiler. Any idea's?? Also whats with the price on these things I have seen some in the 10k range when a Buderus or Viesman gas boiler @ 98% efficiency can be had for much less, just don't understand how people justify buying less efficient units that cost thousands more to simply burn a different fuel.

Modern gasifiers are expensive $6K to $10K plus. If you will continue to burn wood it's a matter of the payback period as opposed to the less expensive fossil boiler.
I'd look into Tarm and woodgun combination boilers, they'll provide oil or gas backup in addition to wood gasification through a common flue.

you can do a load calculation. Someone here will give you a couple of links. No matter what you do, don't skimp on insulation,double the old amount. I would seriously look at in floor radiant. My house is only 12 yrs old and I didn't insulate it enough, and I knew I should put in radiant floor. Big screw ups that would have paid for themselves way before now. Listen to WVOM on sat mornings, good tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.