New house, new stove - Size question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
Hi folks. Been a while since I've visited the site. It's nice to be back.

As the title says, I'm moving to a new (to me) house and I'm planning my stove install.

I've been extremely happy with my Englander NC30 in my current place, which is a 2000 sq ft 2 story with a lot of vertical space (18 ft vaulted ceilings). The new place is a 2000 sq ft ranch with low ceilings. I'm going with Blaze king for extended burn times and I want to try cat heat. Living space is open and I have an opportunity to locate the stove centrally.

The big question is whether to go with a Princess or King. I can't imagine ever needing the top end heat out of an ultra, but I really like the idea of stretching burn times out over longer intervals. What do you all think... is the King too much?

-john

Welcome back John. Good to hear the Englander is working well. If price is an object you might want to stick with the Princess because it requires a 6" flue like the 30NC. Go for the King if the goal is longer burn times, greater reserve capacity and you don't mind increasing the flue size to 8" all the way.

According to Blaze King, heat output is not much different between the two stoves.

My ranch home is about 1600, and it isn't too much. Very controllable. The insulation in this place is marginal, however.

The 8" stuff is expensive. And the stove is a big, hulking monster. Mine is in a really big, open room, so it works.

I'd look at the new BKs, too.

Some variables, (house efficiency, wood types etc,, ) but
I'd go with the King.
I've learned to heat with mine over a big range of Outside temps & conditions.

Guessing you'll be burning mostly pine, spruce ,... (evergreens) & maybe aspen
King holds more volume for longer burn times.. ::P

Now that I've burned with a cat, I recommend it ,
very happy with the long clean burns :)

Tight chimney & dry wood a must for low slow burns ;)

As the others have pointed out, the low burn output on each stove is nearly the same and on each they really can simmer down low. If you can deal with the 8" flue, the physical size isn't much different between the two. Very low clearances to combustibles on these stoves with no hearth insulation requirements.

The question you're asking is should you choose the stove with a 30 hour burn time or a 40 hour burn time. Of course, the 40.

Got firewood yet?
Dry enough for a catalytic?

Thanks guys. I'm going with the King. I'll be putting in a new flue and I'll be able to make it a straight shot, nice and clean. I'm also able to place the stove in an ideal location in a central space. I do have a good bit of 3 year old red oak (my parents let me take wood from there place in Louisiana), Bogy, to supplement the pine I get out here. I scrounge and stash all the hardwood I can. I can finally start accumulating 2+ seasons worth of wood now that I have room.
-john

bogydave said:
Tight chimney & dry wood a must for low slow burns

Tight chimney?

Air tight;
don't suck in any air in at the joints or connections.
Air leaks are draft killers.

Air tight;
don't suck in any air in at the joints or connections.
Air leaks are draft killers.
OK. I didn't figure that the average gaps you generally find at pipe joints would be enough to make much of a difference and never sealed them. I have 17' though, and now I have a flex liner so the only joints are at flue collar, 7-to-6" reducer and tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.