New house system ontario canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our boiler system doesn't have us doing anything but enjoy the heat at 3AM.
Durring an average -20C 24 hr period in the winter we start the fire around 5PM and shut the boiler off around 11pm.Then repete the next day.

Reactions: Fred61
I was planing on running ductwork for the ac system, and think I would install a lp furnace as well for backup/main heat.
I'm curious in what way would you incorporate wood heat into a new home.

Thanks
Matt

Hey Matt, lots of talk about boilers and in floor heating and the like. I just want to put in a plug for a forced air wood furnace in addition to the LP. Especially when building new, put the chimney where you need it, wood chute, etc. That is what we did. My set-up is a well insulated 1700 ft. home. I have a Caddy wood furnace in series, downstream from the LP furnace. For 3000 feet you will probably need the bigger Max Caddy. The wood furnace uses the LP furnace fan, it runs on it's own thermostat. I have not had any problem with storing the wood in the basement, love that I never have to go outside to fire, but of course there are a lot of differing opinions out there about that. There are trade-offs to both set-ups.
You are already putting in air conditioning ductwork and you will save a lot on installation of LP and wood forced air furnaces over an LP boiler and OWB. The high initial cost of the OWB was one of the reasons I ruled it out when planning our home. The Caddy furnace has worked great for us, I barely ran my LP furnace last year. I would at least consider it.

Oops, missed the original post date was last year. :confused: Good luck with your indoor wood burner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hebner
About the time I turned 72 a cord seemed to have doubled in size.

My dads 72 he still beach combs all his wood, has a small boat ways that he loads up with logs and hauls up to his house .

Reactions: salecker
My dads 72 he still beach combs all his wood, has a small boat ways that he loads up with logs and hauls up to his house .
I have heard the drift wood from saltwater is hard on stoves/furnaces.
Has your father experianced any problems associated with burning his beach combed wood?
I plan on cutting my own wood when i get into my 70's,i really hope that comes true.

I have heard the drift wood from saltwater is hard on stoves/furnaces.
Has your father experianced any problems associated with burning his beach combed wood?
I plan on cutting my own wood when i get into my 70's,i really hope that comes true.

The house was built in the mid sixties, he put an insert in about 12 years ago .. so not too bad for burning wood only from the salt chuck.