New Hudson River Davenport issues(w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SK0136

Jan 18, 2023
NY
Just had it installed Monday, has a fresh air line to outside, and the exhaust exits out to a T and up about 5 feet. Used it yesterday for about 8 hours and cleaned it to get used to it. Today the stove ran for 5 hours, turned off for 3 hours, then turned on for another 5. In that time I noticed the flame would be going perfect, then every couple minutes die down a bit to just in the burn pot. The augur would keep filling it slowly and once enough pellets were in it, I'd have a great flame again. Thinking the feed rate needs to be increased correct? 2nd issue I'm seeing though is unburnt pellets jumping back out of the pot, and below to the ash pan. Will increasing the feed also stop this? 3rd issue is the ignitor pipe is higher than the exhaust pipe which cants the burn pot a bit. Is this normal or am I just OCD? Lastly after 10 hours of burning I feel there's A LOT of ash. I took the follow photos once I opened her up to see these issues. I vacuumed it all out and emptied the ash to get it ready again for tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help. Been lurking here for weeks and finally made an account today!

20230118_184418.jpg 20230118_184422.jpg 20230118_192309.jpg 20230118_192436.jpg 20230118_192513.jpg 20230118_192540.jpg

Additional info: using very good hardwood pellets from the installer, running it on manual mode at level 3.

Off topic question, I was told it's a bad idea to run it on low, and to only use manual because the auto setting runs it too low creating a mess. Problem with that, in my 1100 Sq ft home running it on level 3 for five hours gets the house up to 80. I'd much rather have control of it and being maybe around 70 then having to keep shutting it down, and back on when the temperature drops.

Welcome to the site.
You would probably be able to "adjust" that tube with a mallet and block of wood. But, being new, should have a warranty, call dealer.
Some stoves "naturally" have a flame that goes up and down, with auger feedings. Almost always a top feed stove, usually one with older style controls. As far as if it is normal for yours, others will have to comment.
Pellet stoves create ash, the same as a forest fire. So as far as amount of ash left behind, you should be able to determine after burning 2-3 tons of pellets. BUT, on one hand you "think" too much ash, but also comment about pellets jumping out of pot. You have 2 adjustments that can affect this, a COMBUSTION BLOWER TRIM on the control board, and a draft control. So, read your manual, experiment with settings, they are there because all installations can be different, needing adjustments. Some stoves are more advanced, and such is not needed. Yours is "old style".
As far as burning on low for long periods, some stoves handle it just fine, some dirty very quickly, which also means it is putting out much more pollution. Read your manual, see if there is any warnings in there. If not, a general "rule of thumb" is, for every 6-8 hours of burning on low, turn stove to high, for an hour. Do not turn a stove off that has been burning on low for a long period. Many of us have to burn on low, due to changing weather conditions.

how far out is the damper rod? FYI the enviro/sherwood industries stoves generally dont have an issue running on low if dialed in to burn on low. i installed one just like this for my eldest daughter and it took a couple hours of changing settings and adjusting damper and she now heats her house on 2 most of the time

Last edited:
Mtbob- thank you for your help, I really appreciate it as this is quite the investment that I want to work well. I adjusted the feed rate trim to the highest setting(5) and dropped the combustion blower trim from the factory setting of 4, to 3. This has created a pretty consistent flame now that is no longer lazy. The installer did say that this model the flame will go down and back up at times. I believe my other issue is I'm using 3 bags of pellets ftom tractor supply to get me along until the delivery of pellets I used the first 2 days. That original bag put out way more heat, and burned even. This bag from TSC doesn't have the heat and let's many more embers fly around inside the stove.
Ssyko- the damper is set right in the middle currently. In CNY we've had a very abnormal winter... today is 38 but supposedly winter might start tonight with Temps getting back in the 20s and 30s. I think once that happens I can probably run it on manual at level 3 most of the time. Once Temps go up again I'll mess around with those settings though. Definitely encouraging to hear it worked for you. This house we bought only has electric baseboard heaters so you can imagine the electric bill the first few months. With this stove we should be easily able to drop it down since it's an open 1 level ranch ranch style.

16741633970114407662994373804183.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob