New insert reccomendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asapappa

Oct 16, 2016
Ohio
Hello all. I am on my first winter of burning a wood insert in an 1887 (3000sf) farm house. The insert I purchased this year is a quadrfire voyager grand, and so far I have been very pleased with it. It does a nice job of heating the kitchen and great room, and keeps the chill off in the upstairs. I really enjoy burning wood and think I want to add another insert into the only other available masonry fireplace in the house that I would be able to utilize. This fireplace is in the dining room on the first floor, and is directly below the master bedroom, which is the coldest room in the house. This is a small firebox, and I was looking for a reccomendation of an insert that would fit and do a good job. The dimensions are 27"w x 30" h x 14"deep.

I have looked at the regency h2100 online, and I like that it vents out the back, and the top could be utilized to cook etc., and it essentially doesn't have a depth requirement. I could build a 30" concrete hearth and still have dinner in there. Does anyone have experience with this unit, or have a better alternative for the space that I have? I'm open to whatever and greatly appreciate any feedback.

IMG_3390.JPG
The dimensions of the room are 15'x15' and attached is a pic of what is currently there. I realize that this will take significant work to make this safe. I fully intend on removing the wood surround, stripping off the drywall and framing to brick, installing cultured stone, and building a concrete hearth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to run liner down the chimney? Also are you wanting to only use the fireplace spot, can another place be used for a free stamding unit vs a insert?

In my opnion you get alot more heat froma free standing unit then a insert and they are usual a better band for the buck.

Niko, thanks for the reply. I do plan on putting a stainless liner in there as well. I only plan on considering an insert due to the space in this room.

That's a beautiful mantel and judging by the dining room furniture it suits the room well. I would be careful with the remodel. A cultured stone look could completely change the character of the room. Instead I would suggest trying to stick with the formality of line and formal style of the room. A nice castiron surround insert on a plain wall may work better. Or perhaps a complimentary tilework with an outside dark wood frame framing the opening? Some options to look at in the Regency line would be the Hampton HI200 insert (15" deep, but a tile frame could provide a 1" build out) . Others to consider are the Jotul C450, or Vermont Castings Montpelier,

Status
Not open for further replies.