New Insert Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CharlieTuna

Jan 10, 2021
PA
It appears we must replace a large 1999 VC Winter Warm insert, which I never really liked. I am sure the catalytic converter hasn't worked in years. The damper linkage just broke, and I don't think it's worth fixing. We had a Buck Stove before this, which I liked. It threw more heat, but burned faster than the VC WW. So we are now looking for a replacement, and I am asking for recommendations. I don't want another cat unit, and would prefer something that has more surface area in the room. Also what to do with the old unit? Is there any market for it, or is it just scrap metal? I assume I could sell the cat for recylcing as well.

The market in 2020 has shifted to cat solutions to meet the EPA requirements, many are hybrids, but there are some large, non-cat inserts too. Look at the Osburn 3500 and Pacific Energy Summit and see if they fit your needs and the fireplace.

The market in 2020 has shifted to cat solutions to meet the EPA requirements, many are hybrids, but there are some large, non-cat inserts too. Look at the Osburn 3500 and Pacific Energy Summit and see if they fit your needs and the fireplace.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It's been a while since we replaced a wood stove, and I expect the EPA has increased regulation. I am seeing sales of wood stoves on clearance that don't meet present EPA guidelines, like a Napoleon Insert Model 1402. What happens if I install this myself? Is the EPA sending people with sniffers to find non-compliant stoves? I think this would be better than what is there now.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It's been a while since we replaced a wood stove, and I expect the EPA has increased regulation. I am seeing sales of wood stoves on clearance that don't meet present EPA guidelines, like a Napoleon Insert Model 1402. What happens if I install this myself? Is the EPA sending people with sniffers to find non-compliant stoves? I think this would be better than what is there now.
You shouldn't be seeing sales on non 2020 compliant stoves. It is against federal law and carries steep fines for the dealers for selling new non compliant stoves.

You shouldn't be seeing sales on non 2020 compliant stoves. It is against federal law and carries steep fines for the dealers for selling new non compliant stoves.
OK, that explains why its so cheap. I don't think its exactly new. I am told it was a demo model or something by someone who took over the building from what was a stove shop. So, if it's second hand, what problems would a home owner have installing it with the EPA?

OK, that explains why its so cheap. I don't think its exactly new. I am told it was a demo model or something by someone who took over the building from what was a stove shop. So, if it's second hand, what problems would a home owner have installing it with the EPA?
No problems at all for a homeowner

The Napoleon 1401/1402 is a great insert. I bought a used and absolutely love it. Makes great heat easy to use simple design.

So we got an old Lopi Revere stove. Despite being smaller than the old VC WW, the fire box appears to be larger. Hopefully, this will get us through the winter.

The firebox on the revere is close in size to the 1402 it may do better than u expect. If its an older unit you may want check check the gaskets

The firebox on the revere is close in size to the 1402 it may do better than u expect. If its an older unit you may want check check the gaskets
Thanks. I am trying to decide what to do with the old VC WW. I could fix the damper problem and sell it. Can this be adapted for non-catalytic secondary combustion? I have always hated the catalytic system. We are not far from coal country, or where it used to be. Could this be adapted for burning coal?

Thanks. I am trying to decide what to do with the old VC WW. I could fix the damper problem and sell it. Can this be adapted for non-catalytic secondary combustion? I have always hated the catalytic system. We are not far from coal country, or where it used to be. Could this be adapted for burning coal?
I supposed anything can be engineered with enough perseverance but is it worth it? Probably not. And definitely not for coal.

I supposed anything can be engineered with enough perseverance but is it worth it? Probably not. And definitely not for coal.
Well it's a large stove. By taking out the refractory chamber the fire box would be bigger. Adding fire brick and secondaries would improve performance. I suspect the door might need an upgrade somehow.