New Install design - getting started with TACO HSS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

terry56

Jan 27, 2018
Salmon Arm, BC
My first post here!
I am starting my design for a new wood boiler (GARN 1500). I've playing with the TACO HSS software, and thought I was doing great. For example, as I changed the load or distance between house and boiler, I could see the pipe size increase from 1" to 1.25", and I was happy to see it doing the math!

Then I added the HX into the drawing, but I must not have the properties right, because it is not making sense to me. I'm attaching 2 screenshots. The first shows the case where I set the leaving temp. of the boiler to 200F. Then I started reducing the leaving temp, thinking i might see some changes on the load side of the HX, but nothing changed. I reduced the boiler leaving temp down to 130F (2nd screenshot), and still shows a Hydronic Transfer Out temp of 140F. That would be great if it could do that, but somehow I doubt it! So I thought maybe my setup of the HX must be incorrect.

When I added the HX, I didn't change many of the properties... basically just chose Brazed Plate. But I did notice in the 'Characteristics' section that the Number of plates is set to 0... I thought I might be able to change that, but it is greyed out.

Any feedback on what I'm doing wrong, or misunderstanding how it works. Or do you think there is a better forum I should be asking more Taco specific questions in.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Terry

Attachments

• HX problem.PNG
    HX problem.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 202