New Install: Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Virginia
A couple years ago I posted a thread to get ideas for heating with wood in Texas Hill Country. It’s been a process, but we finally have what I believe is a safe and functional install. There’s some cosmetic work to do for the surround, but the insert is up and running (well, not running at this precise moment as it’s still in the 60’s right now, but it has been doing good work overnight and in the mornings when temperatures are in the 30’s and 40’s).

We had debated for a while between a freestanding woodstove and an insert. The way we use our space and the heat needs of the house made the best spot for a stove the place where there is currently a factory-built fireplace. We did have the manufacturer’s approval for an insert, but it was hard to find one that fit our low height requirement (at least one that didn’t have a tiny firebox), but the larger Enviro inserts fit the bill. Once I knew what would work, it was some effort actually to obtain the stove since Enviro stopped producing them a few months back, I understand. We found one in East Texas and managed to combine picking it up with a visit to some family.

An Enviro dealer in North Texas whom I had originally approached about the insert but who had been unable to get one through his distributor was kind enough to do the install for me. It took him and a friend a great deal of careful labor to get the pre-insulated liner inside my chimney, but they persevered through a couple setbacks (rope fraying and snapping off the pulling cone when it was mostly down, for example) and got it hooked up.

075C251C-C648-4149-B441-7EFBE1295E69.jpeg

Because our firebox is recessed quite a lot, the insert sits back under our lintel, and the standard surround is too tall and wide. We’re hoping to have a metal shop do some work for us, but we are using the stove without the surround right now.

The children have once again decided that in front of the fire is their favorite spot. The oldest was remembering how she used to make up stories about the flames when she was younger, and she encouraged her little siblings to make “flame tales” of their own. They sat and warmed their feet and warmed my heart at the same time.

So magestic actually gave you a written amendment to their manual which doesn't allow inserts?

Actually it was Superior (I did mistakenly say Majestic once two years ago—do you really remember that?), and they don’t allow inserts “not approved for this fireplace.” Superior apparently takes the position that if an insert manufacturer approves a ZC install, it’s approved provided that the ZC remains intact with only the damper or faceplate removed and its airflow not closed off.

I’ve read your comments on the liability and safety issues, so I really researched the matter. I could not talk directly to Superior, but I do have their comments written to me by the stove shop who originally contacted them on my behalf. I really tried to do my due diligence and meet all the requirements I could to deal with my situation.

What I found really tricky was that I couldn’t just leave the pre-fab alone anyway because it’s considered an appliance and due for replacement. Even though it was in good shape, we were not able to switch our homeowner’s insurance this summer unless we replaced it. The full reline and new insert is considered a brand new fireplace.

Actually it was Superior (I did mistakenly say Majestic once two years ago—do you really remember that?), and they don’t allow inserts “not approved for this fireplace.” Superior apparently takes the position that if an insert manufacturer approves a ZC install, it’s approved provided that the ZC remains intact with only the damper or faceplate removed and its airflow not closed off.

I’ve read your comments on the liability and safety issues, so I really researched the matter. I could not talk directly to Superior, but I do have their comments written to me by the stove shop who originally contacted them on my behalf. I really tried to do my due diligence and meet all the requirements I could to deal with my situation.

What I found really tricky was that I couldn’t just leave the pre-fab alone anyway because it’s considered an appliance and due for replacement. Even though it was in good shape, we were not able to switch our homeowner’s insurance this summer unless we replaced it. The full reline and new insert is considered a brand new fireplace.
Ok I personally still wouldn't do it without written consent but that's up to you. And as long as the install was done right to start with and you didn't block any air circulation it should be safe

Congrats on the new insert- I personally know that what you have is a proven winner of a burn engine. Drafts easy, long burns, super easy to operate. Many happy years with it.

Looks awesome, if you have pets they'll park themselves in front of the stove too.

Congratulations. I know this has been a long time coming. The Kodiak is a very nice insert and a good heater. Looks like it was a snug fit. With some custom side panels it's going to look great in that location.

Thanks, all. We’ve been enjoying the insert and are pleased with how well it drafts even in our mild temperatures. A lot of our wood grows with twists and gnarls, and it’s nice to have a roomy firebox that loads easily with enough fuel for an overnight burn without any necessity for Tetris.

Secondaries seem to get going quickly and last a long time. We see and smell no smoke out of our chimney.

One of our biggest concerns was that we would simply overheat our space. That hasn’t been an issue, though we needed to let the fire go out the last couple of days with outside temps in the 70’s with warm nights, too. Last night the cold front blew in with thunderstorms and hail and the house cooled enough that it was nice to start a fire this morning.