New Install of Greenwood 200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docgogo

Feb 6, 2008
Kentucky
would like some suggestions about chimney size greenwood suggest minimum of 7"
Having trouble locating 8" would that be the way to go?
Have a draft inducer greenwood says to use it ???
What about a barometric damper??
What kind of boil over protection should i use? Battery backup or storage tank?
thanks

I have a boiler very similar to yours.

Not sure about chimney size. If your chimney does not provide a natural draft of .05 - .07 - you will definitely want to use the draft inducer. Proper draft is critical. You should have or borrow a manometer to "dial in" the correct draft. Without proper draft you will not get sufficient heat from your boiler. You will also have creosote problems big time.
The barometric damper is now being used on these type boilers. It will prevent puffing that sometimes happens if you load too much split wood.
Code says one 30# pop off but 2 is better for safety. Battery back up if you want to run circ. pumps when power goes out. With power on - a storage tank is best. At the very least you need a dump zone. Preferably a zone set up so it can self circulate during a power outage.

Hope that helps.

I bought a greenwood 200 this year also and had a friend of mine incharge of the install he is a plumbing, heating and mechanical engineer. We went with the 7" chimney since that was their recommendation and installed a draft inducer although I dont need it for normal cycling when you load there is alot of smoke that comes out the door so we wired it to a timer that you can turn on when you are loading and this helps pull alot of the smoke out of the fire box while loading.

My Greenwood rep also recommended installing a temp guage in the chimney to ensure that you exhaust temp reaches at least 350 deg and if it does not this is when you can use the draft inducer.

I also went with the 30# pop off and also used the battery back up if the power goes out to dump the excess heat back into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.