New install of wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerryq

Mar 14, 2018
Hickory , Nc
I bought a house last year and we have had some cold nights here . Mainly using a few electric heaters . The house is an older house with a steel pipe already in the wall that runs to the roof
received_1434627426665447.jpeg received_1434627456665444.jpeg received_1434627449998778.jpeg

for the wood stove to connect to . I bought a new wood stove from tractor supply a few weeks ago and plan on buying a hearth pad this weekend. I just noticed that the stove is going to be higher than the pipe coming out of the wall . Will this be a problem ? I'm planning on having an installer to come install the stove but was not sure if the stove being taller the the pipe coming out of the wall will pose a problem ? Thank you for any information .

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure you’ll want some upslope to the chimney. It keeps the liquid creosote flowing towards the stove and doesn’t allow it to pool at an elbow. I’m sure it helps with draft also.

Reactions: Jerryq
Typically . . . almost always . . . there should be a slight upward pitch in the horizontal run from your stove outlet. You don't usually want the stove pipe tipped downwards like it will be currently.

Yes, it will be a problem. Smoke does not go downhill and it's not a good idea to come off the top of a stove with a 90º elbow. Before proceeding it would be good to verify that the thimble going through the wall is safe and proper. If not, then it makes sense to redo it at a higher point.

Last edited:
Maybe they could cut the pipe a bit and bring the connector up? I don’t know if that is feasible or not.
What kind of stove is that? Looks pretty nice!
And what is the material of the wall behind the stove?

You should discuss with your installer how to make it up to code. It should include moving the connector up towards the ceiling. He will need to inspect the pipe or chimney behind the wall.

Maybe they could cut the pipe a bit and bring the connector up? I don’t know if that is feasible or not.
What kind of stove is that? Looks pretty nice!
And what is the material of the wall behind the stove?

Thank you to all that replied. I bought it on sale at tractor supply for 550 dollars . And thanks It's a US stove( country hearth ) model 2000 .

I guess I'm going to have to get a professional installer over here one day to give me a quote on how much it will be to move the hole in the wall upwards . It looks like steel so I'm not sure if thats even doable or how much money I'm looking at to get all that done .

If you are considering all new pipe. You might open the door for a different stove location in general. If you go with new pipe be sure to locate it far enough from any wall to accommodate stoves with larger clearance to combustibles than your current model. Or at least consider a future stove upgrade that may require that. Another thought to consider!

Do you think it will be a difficult fix ?

Depends . . . as BeGreen said they may need to seal off that thimble and make a new thimble higher up.

Again, as is it will most likely be a problem with the draft and I suspect you will not be happy with the stove's performance.

Since the stove is still brand new... my .02...

Can you exchange it (or take it back) for a rear-venting stove (where the stovepipe comes off the back)? Then you could simply build up the hearth (which you may need to do anyway, as mentioned above) in order to line it up with your wall thimble. Would like like it was meant to be! Plus, the higher the stove door the easier the loading.

Hope you can find a solution.

Thank you to all that replied. I bought it on sale at tractor supply for 550 dollars . And thanks It's a US stove( country hearth ) model 2000 .

I guess I'm going to have to get a professional installer over here one day to give me a quote on how much it will be to move the hole in the wall upwards . It looks like steel so I'm not sure if thats even doable or how much money I'm looking at to get all that done .
Can you post a picture or two of the chimney from the outside? It might not be as bad as it first seems. Hard to say without being there. A certified sweep should be able to provide a full assessment of options.

Can you post a picture or two of the chimney from the outside? It might not be as bad as it first seems. Hard to say without being there. A certified sweep should be able to provide a full assessment of options.

thank you , i will try to schedule a chimney sweep soon . i went outside and snapped a few pictures for ya .

2roof.jpg 1roof.jpg

Thanks, that helps. The chimney is a bit on the short side for this stove. Even if the thimble were 6" higher, this setup could draft poorly with a 90º elbow coming right off the stove. I'd recommend raising the thimble to allow a 45 elbow off the stove to another 45" at the chimney thimble. Something like this:
two 45s for flue connect.jpg

Thanks, that helps. The chimney is a bit on the short side for this stove. Even if the thimble were 6" higher, this setup could draft poorly with a 90º elbow coming right off the stove. I'd recommend raising the thimble to allow a 45 elbow off the stove to another 45" at the chimney thimble. Something like this:
View attachment 224421

thank you very much . this information helps a lot .

These guys are the experts. All I can say is that if you do the job right the first time, you will have less expense, better running stove, and you will be very glad you did. In NC you're looking at lots of moderate temperatures, and it can be tough to get a good draft in moderate temps. Cleaning and draft should be your primary concerns for an install in your area.

Those are my thoughts. I love Hickory NC. Ridden through many times on my way up 321 towards Grandfather mountain and such. Great roads.