New install -- old fireplace. Clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dga3240

Sep 15, 2020
UK
Hi, I am wanting to install an old Jotul 118 in a (very) old fireplace and wondering about the clearances around the stove. Ripping out the 1950s fireplace has revealed the original fireplace in the old stone built house. (See picture). From the soot staining, it seems to have originally been used for an open fire. The original flue above the fireplace (which will be getting a stainless steel liner) is 10 inch clay pipe. There is stone work around the entire fireplace extending up to and beyond the flue is part of the structure of the stone built house. (I've pointed the back wall of the fireplace already).

Going by the book, there will be sufficient clearance around the stove -- except for the top where there will be about 6 inches clearance to a 9.5 inch deep stone lintel with the house structural stone work extended above that. The sides are formed by more stone work and there are two large stones (visible in the photo), one on each side, at the front. So stone work all around. At the moment, that lintel is plastered, but I would like to strip that back to reveal the original stone, making that a feature. The nearest combustible material to the stove will be the lath and plaster just visible beyond and below the large stones forming each side of the fireplace. So lath and plaster outside the stone uprights forming the sides.

Commonsense tells me that this should be perfectly safe as the fireplace seems to have formerly been in use, but the book seems to say different. Or am I missing something? I am in Scotland, UK, by the way. I would be grateful to have your comments.

DSC_0407.jpg P1020154.jpg P1020155.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Fair question. The hearth is going to be concrete paving slabs (for cheapness!). The original hearth was again built of concrete built onto the concrete floor, so non-combustible and definitely over engineered! The guy who installed the 1950s fireplace used straight concrete (!), not mortar, so I had to hire a man with a jack hammer to demolish it back to the house stone work! He was cussing quite a lot as it was tough to break up! The nearest combustibles will be the lath and plaster just visible at the bottom corners of the stone sides. I could measure it if you want, but I think this is probably irrelevant? I'd agree, it would be different if it was a timber floor.