New Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pooh

Feb 15, 2008
Central Arizona
Hello All,

We just had our first stove, a Quad Castile, installed two days ago. One of the salesmen did the install because the regular installer
was sick. We have noticed a strong wood burning oder through the house along with a little eye burning. Is this normal and something
we have to get used to, or is there a chance the installer did not do too good of a job? I cant feel any leaks behind the stove which is
where the smell is the strongest.

He has the vent going straight through the wall and extending about a foot and a half out with an exhaust cap in the end.

Thanks for any input.

Did he use high temp sealant? I installed my own,first time and I went straight out. Over 18 inches,even lost power the next day and no smoke in the house LOL

I woke up panicing for nothing,althought I bought a p68 and I guess the gaskets work well:)

Did they burn the stove in before delivery? Could be that too,my dealer preburned my unit

Ciao

When my CB1200i was installed and the installer did the initial firing of the unit, he was successful in triggering my ADT firealarm system. Noticeable light haze throughout the house and a less then pleasant smell of the stove paint curing.

Good luck with your unit,
Jim

Went back to the dealer today. He said no rise is needed.
I am beginning to think he does not know what is is talking
about. He is sending out a new installer to look at it
this week. I think I will insist on a five foot rise no mater
what he says.

Thanks everyone.

Mr Pooh said:
what he says.

Thanks everyone.

I would insist on at least the 5' rise as well. I never thought at all about having a straight out connection. They actually did an 8' rise on mine. Good Luck.

Mr Pooh said:
what he says.

Thanks everyone.

He is right, no rise is required. Did they tell you about the initial burn-off required on the unit? For the first couple of uses its going to make a oil/paint burning smell and it will burn your eyes. Also many time you will get a slight pellet burning smell upon start-up. If the installer did not seal the first pipe joint to the unit with HT silicone you are probably getting a constant smoke leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.