New Jotul 500 Damper Air Control Lever Sticks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backdraft

Nov 10, 2008
Lincoln Nebraska
Hello all, its been 1 month since I posted here and the Jotul has been fantastic in my unfinished basement. We have the hottest radiant floor heat in town!!!!!
Anyway, the damper lever is binding up a little when it gets to 1/4 to 1/3 open. It just kinda catches but will go further if wiggles and manhandled a bit. That little front door washer is in place and it's not catching on the door. I cooled it down and took off the air vent cover and all looks fine to me, just a tiny amount of ash in there which I sucked out. I did not see any reason for the stickyness. Anybody else experience this? Up untill a couple days ago the lever moved freely.

Also, when you remove any screws from one of these stoves, do you use any kind of oil or lubricant on the threads?

Thanks in advance
Bill

You don't indicate which Jotul model you're burning, but I know that they had some problems with the manufacturer of the air vent handles.
Evidently, they were incorrectly bent & some binding in the movement was the result. Contact your dealer or Jotul direct & they should cover it under warranty.
As far as the fasteners go, a littl bit of anti-sieze compound (like Nevr-Sieze) is what we put on the threads at reassembly. Nothing worse than shearing the head of a bolt or machine screw & trying to get a drill & tap into a spot inside a stove...

I had the damper stick on my Englander pretty bad. I needed to lubricate it when the stove was cool. Hasn't stuck since.

Backdraft said:
Sorry Jotul 500

Bill

Apparently this is a common problem with the Oslo . . . it also appears as though Jotul has attempted to correct this problem.

If you do a search for stuck or sticking air control lever you will find several suggestions for fixing this issue . . . running the gamut from using lubricants like graphite to getting a replacement part to modding the lever.

Contact your dealer for the replacement control arm that fixes this problem.

DAKSY said:
You don't indicate which Jotul model you're burning, but I know that they had some problems with the manufacturer of the air vent handles.
Evidently, they were incorrectly bent & some binding in the movement was the result. Contact your dealer or Jotul direct & they should cover it under warranty.
As far as the fasteners go, a littl bit of anti-sieze compound (like Nevr-Sieze) is what we put on the threads at reassembly. Nothing worse than shearing the head of a bolt or machine screw & trying to get a drill & tap into a spot inside a stove...

His post stated jotul 500

Status
Not open for further replies.