New Jotul F 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
Hi everyone ! Got my new Jotul F 500 delivered on Tuesday 11/6. I was happy about getting a new stove but also a little nervous about it because I had been using the same stove for 26 years and had read that the new stoves are a little fussy about draft. We uncrated the stove and set it in place using the existing pipe. I lit the first break-in fire and the draft was a little slow because I have some horizontal pipe issues and the 8 x 12 flue. I am having a rigid liner installed by weeks end and will move the chimney thimble up 2' so that should take care of most of the horizontal pipe issues. With a little patience I got some heat into the chimney and let it run at 250 degrees for a few hours. The second break-in fire was at 350*. The third fire I let run all day at 450*. Since Friday this stove has been running 24/7. Under the existing condition I was pleasantly surprised at how well the stove runs. Although it hasn't been too cold yet, I am sure this stove will heat my 2000 sq.ft. home more than adaquetly. Thanks to all who helped me through the selection process.

Jim

Good choice......We'd love to see some pics.

Thanks for the update Jim. We'd love to see pictures, especially with the stove burning hot.

HI Jim,

Thanks for that post. Informative but it brings up a great question:

Why make the change in the chimney? You said it was running well in the breakin fires and the 24/7 fire. So if there is no problem, why fix it?

Puzzled

carpniels

From other F500 thread:
BeGreen, you are not gong to believe this setup. I come out the top of the stove for 12” with a 90* to 12” of horizontal pipe, 45* to 4’ of horizontal pipe which rises at 1” per ft. into the 22’, 8 x 12 flue. I’m getting a rigid flue liner by the end of the week and at that time I will move the chimney thimble up 2’. This should help the horizontal pipe situation greatly. In theory this setup shouldn’t work too well but I have been using it for 26 years. I was really nervous about getting a new stove because of the drafting issues but it seems to work well and hopefully better with the new liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.