Q&A New Jotul F400 Castine won't burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have just installed a Jotul F400 Castine, it looks great, but I can not keep a fire lit. It is a constant battle to keep the fire burning. I have tried wood from 3 different sources to no avail. The only time a fire will burn is when I open the ash door. Do I need extra outside air? Jotul has an outside air kit, but no information on their web site. My home is extremely air tight with lots of condensation/ice build up on the storm windows. Does anyone know how the outside air kit works and what it involves. Will this solve the problem? Does it require a powered fan? I appreciate any info. Thanks.

Answer:

Problem is probably twofold.

1. Tight house. Crack a window near the stove and try it. If it works, then this is your problem.
2. Short chimney, poor draft - This is most likely your problem. All newer stoves need a decent draft, which is provided by a proper chimney and installation. You'll find lots of info on this in our Q and A and articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.