New Jotul Oslo installed today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitchen

Jan 20, 2013
Shawangunk Mountains, NYS
IMG_2278.JPG

Sold and installed by John, Will and Joe from Fireside Warmth in Kingston, NY. Highly recommend this company if you live in Ulster County NY.

That's a nice looking setup you have there. And of course I'm very partial to your choice of stoves. Let us know when you fire it up and do your break ins.

Did they build the hearth or is that your build? Either way, it is nice. Now make sure you have dry wood for it come fall. If you are going to buy wood, you need it yesterday!

Good for you but do not expect that "seasoned" stuff to be ready to burn. Stack it in a very windy spot to dry before fall. Hopefully no oak. If there is, set that aside as it won't burn well at all this fall. We give oak 3 years in the stack. I'd also recommend stacking that kiln dried in the wind as it might not be as dry as you expect. We see this all the time.

Very Nice.

The Oslo is at the very top of my short list for a replacement stove.

It looks like you've got lot's of space on the hearth, can I ask what made you go with the Oslo rather than, say the F600 Firelight?

Very Nice.

The Oslo is at the very top of my short list for a replacement stove.

It looks like you've got lot's of space on the hearth, can I ask what made you go with the Oslo rather than, say the F600 Firelight?

The Oslo replaced an aging Hearthstone Heritage. The Heritage almost heated my home and from friends who have had both stoves, they thought the Oslo would be just about right. I think the F600 would be too much stove for our space.

And my wife wanted the Oslo.

The Oslo replaced an aging Hearthstone Heritage. The Heritage almost heated my home and from friends who have had both stoves, they thought the Oslo would be just about right. I think the F600 would be too much stove for our space.

And my wife wanted the Oslo.

The Hearthstone Heritage is also at the top of my list. Can I pick your brain a bit and ask, besides not quite heating your house, how did you feel about the Heritage, and why you didn't stay with hearthstone and switched to Jotul?

The Hearthstone Heritage is also at the top of my list. Can I pick your brain a bit and ask, besides not quite heating your house, how did you feel about the Heritage, and why you didn't stay with hearthstone and switched to Jotul?

I had nothing but problems with the door handles and door frame and I don't think staying with the same manufacturer was going to solve that issue. The dealer (in NJ) that I used admitted they had many customer issues as well, so I didn't feel like I got a lemon. Closing either door never felt like it had a positive fit and the handle would over rotate some times. Also, the original frames where the door latched were all cast and would break off eventually. Hearthstone remedied that by changing the plate where the door key inserted to a steel plate, but didn't solve the over rotating problem. Another issue was the fire would always get away from me because the air vent wouldn't fully closed. If I felt more secure in loading this stove up and damping it down at night without the over firing issue, then it probably would have heated my house more sufficiently.

It was a nice stove, nice looking and I can't say anything bad about the qualities of the soapstone. It was just time for a change. If I could find someone local to me that would install and service a stove they didn't sell, I would have gone with one of the Woodstock soapstones. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the stoves and their customer service.

I love my Heritage and I find it more than up to the task of heating my 1400 sq-ft home. It looks great , the soapstone warmth doesn't blast me out of the room and it seems "almost" impossible to over fire if run with any sense at all. That said, I'm not sure I'd do it again. There is no question in my mind that the factory has some QC issues. And the door latches on the Heritage ARE questionable. Knowing that however, I like to squirt a bit of graphite on the hinges and the latch mechanism to forestall wear as much as possible. I also wonder if folks might be stressing the latches by over tightening the adjustment. The stove uses a hard gasket that doesn't seem to need much pressure to seal well.

Time will tell on the overall quality. If and when it does need replacing, a Woodstock will be my first choice.

Reactions: Kitchen
I love my Heritage and I find it more than up to the task of heating my 1400 sq-ft home. It looks great , the soapstone warmth doesn't blast me out of the room and it seems "almost" impossible to over fire if run with any sense at all. That said, I'm not sure I'd do it again. There is no question in my mind that the factory has some QC issues. And the door latches on the Heritage ARE questionable. Knowing that however, I like to squirt a bit of graphite on the hinges and the latch mechanism to forestall wear as much as possible. I also wonder if folks might be stressing the latches by over tightening the adjustment. The stove uses a hard gasket that doesn't seem to need much pressure to seal well.

Time will tell on the overall quality. If and when it does need replacing, a Woodstock will be my first choice.

I keep hearing the same thing about the hearthstones. Good stove, not great stove. I think if I go stone, I'll have to go woodstock. If I go cast, it'll be Jotul.

I also wonder if folks might be stressing the latches by over tightening the adjustment
This is the case for us. Most issues are from over tightening the handle. Not to say they arent little wimpy.

You are gonna love this stove! It's one of my favorites, my favorite finish too!

Another issue was the fire would always get away from me because the air vent wouldn't fully close
The air isn't intended to fully close on your stove or any EPA stove for that matter.
I'm not saying yours wasn't running away, but this is common belief because the air doesn't fully shut down. Some people panic when the air is off, the temp is at 650 and there are still flames. Thats when I just start to be happy with a stove!;)

You are gonna love this stove! It's one of my favorites, my favorite finish too!

Just wanted to apologize for the hearthstone tangent and get the thread back on target and congratulate the OP on a beautiful new stove and install.

If I decide not to go catalytic I'm pretty sure the Oslo will be my choice as well.

Reactions: webby3650
Been burnin' my oslo now for 5 seasons, I think :p

Just cleaned it up for summer. Took the top off, (an easy job actually) cleaned ash out all around, tightened down some loose bolts, ( checked 'em all and the one at the upper right front side had backed out quite bit) dug out some loose stove cement, (inside at floor of firebox along sidewall, will redo with stove cement), cleaned flue pipe, re-assembled everything.

We built in '07, about 1,850 sq. ft. on one floor, 400+ sq. ft. upstairs above garage.

Have burned about a quarter tank of fuel oil since we built this home, I guess 80 gallon or so, maybe 90 :)

Congrat's on a great stove.

A lot of Oslo fans here . . . it has a well deserved reputation for being a near bullet proof stove. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.