New large wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

d1caswell

Dec 31, 2020
Happy New Year...I am new to this forum and looking for advice as I don't have much background in this area. We are looking to purchase a new wood insert, R.O. is 29" by 39" 25" deep, I'm looking for most BTU's, longest burn. Wife wants one with largest viewing area, and lowest profile AKA sticks out the least. A while back we were looking at the Jotul 550, now with new EPA stuff we have looked into Osburn 2700 Matrix, Pacific Energy Super and Submit, Hearlthstone, and Regency CI 2700. Any I listed stay away from, or miss out on anything I should know about?

check out the lopi large flush mount insert (additional "faces" under fireplace xtrordinair)

We are in the same boat. We actually sized our fireplace in the new house for the Jotul Rockland 550 and then they stopped making it due to the EPA requirements. I have heard that they should be releasing it or a slightly modified variant soon.

We have about 2000 Sq Ft upstairs so a larger insert is needed. I sure hope they bring back the 550.

We have a F-45 Jotul in the basement and love it. My wood is not as seasoned as it needs to be but we are still getting decent burn times and temps out of it. Amazing stove.

If you are looking for good heat output, especially with the blower off, then one that projects out onto the hearth will work better. If you are looking for something that is flush, to please her, then note that it will always need the blower running. There is little radiant surface exposed on a flush insert besides the front door, so get a quiet unit.

If you are looking for good heat output, especially with the blower off, then one that projects out onto the hearth will work better. If you are looking for something that is flush, to please her, then note that it will always need the blower running. There is little radiant surface exposed on a flush insert besides the front door, so get a quiet unit.

Really!?!?! I know when we are primarily using it for heat while not in the room or working the blower should be on but I would expect when the blower is off it would still throw a decent amount of heat. Right now I have an open fireplace with larger brick area than most I have seen. On cold days I get that fire place hotter than the blazes of hell and it radiates heat quite well, I know I'm losing probably 80% up the chimney. I will wake up the next morning and the bricks are still radiating heat.

Really!?!?! I know when we are primarily using it for heat while not in the room or working the blower should be on but I would expect when the blower is off it would still throw a decent amount of heat. Right now I have an open fireplace with larger brick area than most I have seen. On cold days I get that fire place hotter than the blazes of hell and it radiates heat quite well, I know I'm losing probably 80% up the chimney. I will wake up the next morning and the bricks are still radiating heat.
the blower is a must to get the most out of an insert. I used to have a regency 2400 which stuck out a bit and it would radiate an ok amount of heat but once the blower kicked on it would prob throw out 3x.
I would not classify that blower as quiet though.

the blower is a must to get the most out of an insert. I used to have a regency 2400 which stuck out a bit and it would radiate an ok amount of heat but once the blower kicked on it would prob throw out 3x.
I would not classify that blower as quiet though.
Inserts heat primarily by convection. Some convect naturally better than others, but yes heat output is boosted with the help of the blower. It sounds like the 2400 could use a speed control. I know that the PE blowers are not too bad for noise. It's a low hum at low and medium speeds. At high speed it is louder because of the air noise, but not something you would need to shout over.

Reactions: avsmusic1
I run my insert around 80% and the noise is more than manageable. It's not in a library. :rolleyes: