New Liner Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverstop

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2020
new hampshire
I successfully broke out the old clay flue, which was a royal PIA since the bricks were pretty much right up against the tiles. I had to go out and buy Ryobi's brushless cordless drill; the brushed version wasn't getting the job done. Luckily no mortar was used between the 2, but unfortunately that means I only gained the clay flue tile thickness (2x) worth of clearance. It's a straight shot so I'm pretty confident I'll still have room to fit a 6" insulated liner down the 15 ft run. Minimum dimension looks to be ~8.125 - 8.25".

I'm working through prepping the components to install the new liner next weekend. I have some questions regarding insulating the liner:

• Should the bottom of the tee (below the snout connection) be insulated?
  • Should the snout be insulated?
    • Can it be?
  • Do I need to insulate around the top plate connection hose clamp?
    • The liner is transitioning to Class A Chimney above the top plate (transition plate)

Reactions: mangothelegend