New Lopi Answer - rusty interior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I mean no disrespect here to anyone, but to tag onto a previous statement regarding spending thousands of dollars for something in our current economy; put your foot down and stop doing it, and we’ll likely watch our economy come back to something a little more palatable.

Inside. I followed the directions but it still flaked or peeled
Inside is going to no way around it. That's what we have been saying the interior paint will all be gone in a week or so anyway. There isn't any paint that will hold up in the firebox

Reactions: VintageGal
I mean no disrespect here to anyone, but to tag onto a previous statement regarding spending thousands of dollars for something in our current economy; put your foot down and stop doing it, and we’ll likely watch our economy come back to something a little more palatable.
None of the stove manufacturers I have talked to about it have increased their profit margins. It's just that their material and shipping costs have skyrocketed. They have to pass those expenses on if they want to stay in business. The same goes for my business yes I had to raise my prices. But I am not making any more money it just costs me more to do business. We actually dropped our markup percentage some

Reactions: MMH and marty319
None of the stove manufacturers I have talked to about it have increased their profit margins. It's just that their material and shipping costs have skyrocketed. They have to pass those expenses on if they want to stay in business. The same goes for my business yes I had to raise my prices. But I am not making any more money it just costs me more to do business. We actually dropped our markup percentage some
One way to increase the profit margin is to decrease the quality of the product or service. Cutting corners.

One way to increase the profit margin is to decrease the quality of the product or service. Cutting corners.
Where do you see cutting corners in your stove? I havnt seen a quality reduction in stoves at all in recent years

Where do you see cutting corners in your stove? I havnt seen a quality reduction in stoves at all in recent years
Um. The welding job? Hiring amateurs because maybe the company doesn't pay very well or treat their employees well enough for them to stick around. You said the welds were warrantied but why should the consumer need to depend on a warranty for something that should have been done correctly the first time. I wouldn't want my stove to fall apart in the middle of winter and have to fight for my warranty. I'm doing a little projecting but then I have an active imagination

Reactions: marty319
Ugly welds are not necessarily bad welds. They are just ugly. I see a wee tiny bit of undercut here and there (good, imo), some outright misses here and there (bad). But overall the firebox is most likely fine. I would still point it out to the manufacturer/dealer before you burn it just because they "make the finest steel stoves on the planet".

forget about the interior paint and the surface rust. It is a non-issue. The "loose" firebricks are by design.

Reactions: bholler and Jaison
Ugly welds are not necessarily bad welds. They are just ugly. I see a wee tiny bit of undercut here and there (good, imo), some outright misses here and there (bad). But overall the firebox is most likely fine. I would still point it out to the manufacturer/dealer before you burn it just because they "make the finest steel stoves on the planet".

forget about the interior paint and the surface rust. It is a non-issue.
That’s fair enough

Reactions: bholler

forget about the interior paint and the surface rust. It is a non-issue. The "loose" firebricks are by design.
I agree completely. And stuff like this is not anything new there has always been weld splatter inside stoves and you can always find some ugly welds here and there. It doesn't mean it's poor quality or going to fail

Um. The welding job? Hiring amateurs because maybe the company doesn't pay very well or treat their employees well enough for them to stick around. You said the welds were warrantied but why should the consumer need to depend on a warranty for something that should have been done correctly the first time. I wouldn't want my stove to fall apart in the middle of winter and have to fight for my warranty. I'm doing a little projecting but then I have an active imagination
Do you know how much they pay? Are those ugly welds functional? I didn't say a thing about the welds being warrantied all I said was that they were ugly and I would mention it to the dealer. I seriously doubt they are not functional

It should be noted that more than one stove company uses robots to weld their stoves.

Reactions: bholler
Yes very fair statement there is a metric chit ton of businesses that raised only to stay in business while doing nothing for their margins; however as some mentioned others gouge and cut corners as well. My only point was (while I’ll admit much easier said than done in theory) stop paying for this, and you’ll watch it come down (from the consumer to the supplier).

Reactions: Jaison and bholler
Ok.

I'm not a welder. My Dad was and my nephew is and I've worked briefly as a helper for several others and I do my own chicken chit welding (that generally turns out better than that stove example -by quite a bit) to fix or make something.

I had a good look at my stoves when they were brand new with all the bricks out and the heat shields off. I was checking out the welding job..

The welds on my Drolet Columbia were virtually perfect everywhere. They probably could have held pressure.

My Legend that I am currently burning I would say is about 98-99% perfect. There's a couple of tacks I thought were kinda sloppy. And I noticed one small arc from an errant rod.

almost no spatter. Clean, consistent, beautiful welds with the merest hint of undercut.

I was told by Drolet that their stoves are hand welded when I mentioned to a customer service rep how nice the robot weld is on the top of the legend...

the welding job on the stove in question cannot be defended. Like I said, amateur. However, it will probably be fine. The places where the welds completely or largely miss the target are likely not critical. Idk.

all that being said, a picture is worth a thousand words but is no replacement for being there in person.

Last edited:
Yes very fair statement there is a metric chit ton of businesses that raised only to stay in business while doing nothing for their margins; however as some mentioned others gouge and cut corners as well. My only point was (while I’ll admit much easier said than done in theory) stop paying for this, and you’ll watch it come down (from the consumer to the supplier).
You are absolutely correct

Reactions: Jaison and MMH
Do you know how much they pay? Are those ugly welds functional? I didn't say a thing about the welds being warrantied all I said was that they were ugly and I would mention it to the dealer. I seriously doubt they are not functional
No I don't know how much they pay but if you search for companies to work for, you get good and bad comments like any other business. It was moresnow that said the welds were warrantied; and I have to agree with him/her.

On the Answer. I have one. Love it. Great for my needs.

Reactions: Jaison
The welds may not be pretty, but if they are o.k. it's a non-issue. Maybe a newbie did them.

I have a friend that welds. He was looking at the welds on my Pitt's & Spitt's smoker and commented that a real pro did them.

The welds may not be pretty, but if they are o.k. it's a non-issue. Maybe a newbie did them.

I have a friend that welds. He was looking at the welds on my Pitt's & Spitt's smoker and commented that a real pro did them.
Totally possible. I can’t wait to fire my new one up. Waiting for a chimney sweep to get this old liner pulled and a new one put in right now.