New Lopi Greenfield Having Trouble Staying Lit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoosanMan

Nov 29, 2014
NE Kansas
I feel some what humbled to again ask a question here. I appreciate all the input I have received so far. I installed the new Greenfield yesterday. I first had to do the LP conversion including adding on a new stepper to the valve. They had really good directions for all this, so really no questions. This how the first burns have went.

1. Lit up with glass on. Would run 5-10 minutes and completely shut down including standing pilot.
2. Tried it with glass off. It ran fine for 20 minutes.
3. Tried it with glass on. Same thing, runs around 10 minutes.
4. Reread instructions. Took out restrictor plate. Closed diffuser. This is the setting for a 3 ft rise horizontal termination.
5. Two times same thing happened. It shut off after a few minutes. I restarted and it burned rest of evening.
6. This morning, same thing. Shut off two times. I restarted and it runs fine.

I can call dealer tomorrow, but they really don't know much about this stove, they will just relay my questions in.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, this symptom is caused by a venting issue.
Either there is an obstruction or an incompletely sealed exhaust vent connection,
allowing the re-entry of oxygen depleted air thru the intake side.

Either there is an obstruction or an incompletely sealed exhaust vent connection,

Ok, thanks, I will check that out. Appreciate it.

I have the stove in a corner with 3 ft up and then out. On the pipe out, it was too long so I cut it carefully with a cutoff wheel. That all seemed to work just fine and go together good. I have had it apart and can't see where this is causing a problem unless the end cap is supposed to twist and lock on?

The Lopi stoves have a back "comfort" burner. These flames get very blue and are taller with a gap of no flame between the burner and the flame. I know this is not normal. Could the same problem be causing this?

I have the stove in a corner with 3 ft up and then out. On the pipe out, it was too long so I cut it carefully with a cutoff wheel. That all seemed to work just fine and go together good. I have had it apart and can't see where this is causing a problem unless the end cap is supposed to twist and lock on?

The Lopi stoves have a back "comfort" burner. These flames get very blue and are taller with a gap of no flame between the burner and the flame. I know this is not normal. Could the same problem be causing this?

Yes. That flame lift is known as "ghosting." The fire is looking for O2 to combine with the gas.. The flames lift to find the O2 remaining in the firebox. The air is warmed & rises, so the only oxygen left to burn is higher in the chamber. Once that's gone, the flames extinguish. The pilot goes out for the same reason. It's starved...

The End Cap had no twist lock feature. Could that be where my problem is? Does it need to be siliconed or something to seal it? It just slipped over the pipe coming out. It is all DuraVent products

The End Cap just slipped over the pipe coming through the wall. Does it need to be sealed? Could that be the problem. This is all Duravent products

How much of an overlap to you have? Should be more than an inch, IIRC.
You could run a small bead of RTV silicone around the OD if the inner pipe before
you re-install the system.
The other place RTV may be needed is at the first piece of venting attached to the rear of the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.