New Member Introduction...and Flue Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fireonthemountain

Oct 30, 2017
Port Providence, PA
Hey guys, I've been reading for several months now and the amount of knowledge on here is incredible. My wife and I are hoping to be able to install a woodstove in an existing fireplace but we've hit a few bumps in the road. I'd like to get some input from you guys if possible. Details on our situation...

We live in a mid 1800's stone home in southeast Pennsylvania. Its a center hall colonial/farmhouse type house with thick sandstone walls (18" thick or so). The house was completely rehabbed before we purchased it. When they rehabbed, they stripped all the plaster, and studded out 80% of the exterior facing walls with dryway and spray foam insulation. The home has all new Andersen windows, new roof, new electrical, plumbing, ac, heat, etc. The total SF is about 2200 SF but a portion of that is on the third floor, which we don't really use. Heating space on the first 2 floors is probably about 1800 SF. We have propane, hot water heat (baseboards and radiant flooring). The baseboards work pretty well but the radiant floor install is less than perfect and we seem to burn through a lot of fuel and some rooms (the kitchen) really struggle to stay comfortable. For a home pushing 200 years old, its it pretty tight and efficient.

The house is shaped like an "L" with the front door and stairs going to the second floor right in the middle of one leg of the "L." When you walk in the door, the living room is on the right, the stairs are straight ahead, and the dining room is on the left. The kitchen is directly behind the dining room, forming the other leg of the "L." The rooms are connected by normal sized door openings.

Like many homes of this style, there is a fireplace in the living room and a second fireplace in the dining room. Both chimneys have SS liners. We use the fireplace in the living room pretty frequently. The fireplace in the dining room is very shallow (was probably used for coal back when the house was built) so its not really functional as an open fireplace. Both flues have vacu-stack fans. Both chimneys are on the exterior walls.

We would like to install a woodstove on the hearth in the dining room without completely re-working the existing woodwork and stone. The clearances are pretty tight, but I have narrowed it down to 2 jacketed stoves that should fit and meet the clearance requirements. I am considering the Quad Explorer II and the Jotel F45. If we went with the quad the stove would sit on the hearth and we'd use the rear exit flue, then 90 up the chimney. If we went with the jotul, I'd probably want to use the short legs, tuck it farther into the fire box, and use the top exit flue. I like the N/S loading on the jotul but I think space-wise that the quad fits better.

I've had a couple stove shops come up to look at it and both recommended I just go with a pellet stove and run a new 4" liner through the existing liner (or direct vent right out the back wall). I went to look at some pellet units and honestly they just didn't do it for me. The other downfall is having a place to store all the pellets, which I really don't have. Both shops were concerned with the chimney, how it was lined, is it insulated, etc. Eventually I was able to locate the contractor who relined the chimneys. They indicated that their normal procedure for this type of home is to insulate the liners with pour-in insulation (thermo...something or other). I had them come out and they didn't see any reason why a woodstove would not work in my situation (as long as the stove clearances worked, etc.). They seem like a reputable contractor and I have no reason for thinking the previous homeowner cut corners on something like this.

The SS liner is mortared into place about 30" above the firebox lintel. From there, the firebox flares down to the opening. I have attached a drawing showing the dimensions and overall arrangement. I will try to attach some photos later if needed. I originally thought the liner was 6" but now I think it is probably 5.5". I am planning to head up on the roof this weekend to get an accurate measurement. My question is, do you guys think one of the stoves listed above would be reasonable to use on a 5.5" insulated flue? The total flue height is probably 25-30' tall. Also, how would I go about making the connection from the stove pipe to the existing liner since there is no way to screw a coupling to it (at least not now)?

I would like to know your thoughts. I really don't want to resort to pellets. I like burning wood and grew up with fireplaces and a stove. I want my boys to learn how to split wood, build, and maintain a fire. For me I want the benefit of the cost savings but I also want it to be part of our lifestyle. Any input from you guys would be very appreciated...sorry for the long post but I wanted to pre-emptively answer some questions.

NIC

Attachments

• DiCarlo Hearth Dimensions_1.jpg
    DiCarlo Hearth Dimensions_1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 212
Bump

No real input . . . but the really smart guys will be along in a few hours to hopefully answer your questions.

I would love to see some pics of your house though . . . old homes are just really beautiful to look at.

Did they leave 5-6" of the stainless liner exposed or is it flush with the cement around it? If there is a stub, it can be attached to. Not sure what to do if it's flush without risking some creosote drippage.

begreen, the SS liner is pretty much flush with the mortar/parging. The chimney sweep said they'd be able to hook up to it by chipping out a little of the mortar to expose the liner. You could reach up there from below with a little hilti gun I believe but I don't see being able to open up enough room to screw through a coupling with a self tapper. It will be pretty tight. Is there any sort of inside coupling that could be used?

Any thoughts on the 5.5" flue overall?

Ok got it. The inside slip coupler would probably be ok to slip up inside the existing liner but I dont think I'd be able to drill it from the outside of the liner. Is there any type of adhesive/sealant that would be acceptable or do I need screws? I think I could probably make the band clamp style work if I chipped out enough parging and was able to sqeeze up there with a right angle drill attachment to tighten the clamp. Lots of skinned knuckles either way...

Ok got it. The inside slip coupler would probably be ok to slip up inside the existing liner but I dont think I'd be able to drill it from the outside of the liner. Is there any type of adhesive/sealant that would be acceptable or do I need screws? I think I could probably make the band clamp style work if I chipped out enough parging and was able to sqeeze up there with a right angle drill attachment to tighten the clamp. Lots of skinned knuckles either way...
You can't slip it up in the liner it has to go over it. Can you post a picture of the liner that will let us know what type it is and how the coupler would need to be attached

And no there is no adhesive that will hold up

bholler, thanks for the input. I will post a few pics later tonight. All male ends of fittings should be pointing down correct?
Yes that is correct. That way any condensation gets directed back into the liner instead of out.

You may be able to use an angle grinder with diamond blade, cut a circle a couple inches of mortar around the liner, and chip the concrete out enough to slip a new pc of liner onto it to extend to the stove. Make sure to fasten the two sections together with screws.

Ok, here are a few pics. The last one is looking up the flue from the firebox. The liner is mortared in about 30" above the lintel. Very tight as you can see. Without tearing a big hole in the field stone wall I don't see being able to screw into it. I think the best option may be the screw clamp style coupling that begreen suggested.

The liner installer indicated that it is a heavier gauge smooth interior wall liner. You can't see that in the photo though.

This is an exterior chimney running through a 18" thick stone wall. Chances are there was a fireplace on the second story directly above this one...thats how it is on the opposite side of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 194
You may be able to use an angle grinder with diamond blade, cut a circle a couple inches of mortar around the liner, and chip the concrete out enough to slip a new pc of liner onto it to extend to the stove. Make sure to fasten the two sections together with screws.
You shouldnt use screws it should be rivets and only if it is heavy wall or mid weight if it is light wall it needs a clamp. and you need a coupler to join the 2 pieces unless it is rigid.

My flex came with a female end to connect direct to the rigid above, and I did rivet them. As far as rivets or screws, not gonna get into a debate over that.

Ok, here are a few pics. The last one is looking up the flue from the firebox. The liner is mortared in about 30" above the lintel. Very tight as you can see. Without tearing a big hole in the field stone wall I don't see being able to screw into it. I think the best option may be the screw clamp style coupling that begreen suggested.

The liner installer indicated that it is a heavier gauge smooth interior wall liner. You can't see that in the photo though.

This is an exterior chimney running through a 18" thick stone wall. Chances are there was a fireplace on the second story directly above this one...thats how it is on the opposite side of the house.
Well I can't tell anything about what type of liner that is from the pic. But honestly if I was doing the job I would probably go in through the stone face and open up around the liner.

I am curious why someone installed a 5.5 or 6" liner for an open fireplace did they honestly think that would ever work?

My flex came with a female end to connect direct to the rigid above. As far as rivets or screws, not gonna get into a debate over that.
Yes but your system is the only one that does that. Every other liner out there other than rigid needs a coupler.

Well I can't tell anything about what type of liner that is from the pic. But honestly if I was doing the job I would probably go in through the stone face and open up around the liner.

I am curious why someone installed a 5.5 or 6" liner for an open fireplace did they honestly think that would ever work?

I am not sure. The guy we bought the house from seemed a little eccentric. The flue has a vaccu stack on top to pull draft. By the looks of it, it was never used. The other flue in the fireplace that we use also has a fan on it...but it also has a larger firebox and larger liner. Obviously it drafts fine with the fan going. Not sure how that one would perform without it.

If I end up putting a stove in this one I would prefer to do away with the fan. Otherwise I'd be dealing with a house full of smoke in a power outtage.

I am not sure. The guy we bought the house from seemed a little eccentric. The flue has a vaccu stack on top to pull draft. By the looks of it, it was never used. The other flue in the fireplace that we use also has a fan on it...but it also has a larger firebox and larger liner. Obviously it drafts fine with the fan going. Not sure how that one would perform without it.

If I end up putting a stove in this one I would prefer to do away with the fan. Otherwise I'd be dealing with a house full of smoke in a power outtage.
Honestly it sounds like you have allot of issues going on. And you need a good sweep on site to figure things out

Honestly it sounds like you have allot of issues going on. And you need a good sweep on site to figure things out

Yeah I know its not an ideal situation. The sweep who installed the liner indicated they could do the install although I'm not sure how they would make the connection. Is it a crazy proposition all together? I know the chimney was used at one time, just sure for what or how.

Yeah I know its not an ideal situation. The sweep who installed the liner indicated they could do the install although I'm not sure how they would make the connection. Is it a crazy proposition all together? I know the chimney was used at one time, just sure for what or how.
I would not let the sweep who installed a liner that small for an open fireplace set foot in your house. There are only two explanations for doing that. One is he is completely clueless and thought it would work. The other is that he is a crook and installed a liner that he knew wouldn't work just to make a buck. Either way you don't want him working for you.

Makes sense. I guess if they had intended it to be for a stove they would have brought it down into the fire box so that the stove pipe could be connected. I'll call around to some other sweeps in my area to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

If you were going to hook up to this liner for a stove/insert could you not just go in through the backside of the chimney to make the connection. You mentioned exterior chimney I think?

Just a thought.

If you were going to hook up to this liner for a stove/insert could you not just go in through the backside of the chimney to make the connection. You mentioned exterior chimney I think?

Just a thought.
I never thought of that option. I would either need to bust out stone on the inside of the house or the outside. Is that what you are suggesting Squisher? Would it make sense to put some kind of access panel for cleaning out if I were to go that route? The outside is stucco over stone so I would be going in a little blind with regards to the joints in the stone. The stone above the fireplace on the inside is exposed. We always have a picture or some random decoration sitting on the mantle so if I wasnt able to put it all back together perfectly the scar would be hidden for the most part.