new member... Vermont Castings Stardance or Napoleon Bayfield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beth D

Nov 14, 2017
New York
We are replacing a wood stove with a natural gas direct vent stove. We have narrowed it down to the Vermont Castings Stardance or Napoleon Bayfield, with the options of a remote and a blower kit.

I would appreciate any opinions about which company/model is better.
I would also appreciate whether anyone likes the Total System Control for the Stardance That seems to change the ignition system to electronic ignition, and give greater control over flame height, etc., but I have read many pros and cons about the standing pilot vs electronic ignition and am not sure which is best.

Thank you for any guidance you can give us.

Don't know which is best, but I have grown to like a standing pilot. thought it would be an energy waster, but that heat from the pilot goes into the room. Also the first time you have a power outage with a standing pilot you stove will still work. Not a fan of built in blowers. I would rather use a small table fan to move the air around.