New Member - Vigilant (1980) Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brianstrange

Dec 13, 2022
Ma
I just acquired a 1980 Vigilant wood stove with a 1 piece fireback and cast doors (no glass). It was removed 6 months ago and stored under a porch outside. It did encounter some moisture, but could have been worse. I couldn't find cracks on the fireback or bottom and the damper seemed to work with ease. It's missing the RH andiron, and is very crusty with creosote on the inside. My initial plan is to get it home, give it a good internal scrape down and clean it out. Then, I'll add sand to the bottom, and give it a good burn outside to test it. Both the stove and the stove pipe had heavy creosote inside, I'm thinking to the point to where it protected it. I'd like to get the forums advice if I'm taking the right steps. After the initial test burn, I'm pretty sure I'll do a full break down and re-seal as this seems like a great stove. We would use it for open fires in our existing fireplace that has a rusting firebox, but a flue in great shape. We would use it as a backup heat source for power outages. I am on the hunt for shorter legs and welcome any ideas outside the short spendy ones offered by VC. Thanks in advance.
stove1.jpeg
stove2.jpeg

Last edited:
So burning outside is fine to burn out creosote or gas off paint if you do that, but it won't tell you much about the stove's condition. Gotta hook it up and run it for that. And really a rebuild is going to be difficult with that 1 piece fireback,and likely unnecessary given the use you described.

if I can find them I have a set or 2 of short legs in a bucket somewhere, personally I would just tear it down, I see no reason why a tear down on a 1 piece is more difficult than on a 2, once rebuilt you will have many years of good service.

Reactions: Brianstrange
if I can find them I have a set or 2 of short legs in a bucket somewhere, personally I would just tear it down, I see no reason why a tear down on a 1 piece is more difficult than on a 2, once rebuilt you will have many years of good service.
Let me know if you find a set. That would be great!