• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke307

Oct 17, 2016
Evanston Wy
Hi everyone. I have lurked on this forum from time to time but I have a question for all you out there so I joined. I am currently heating my basement with a top discharging blaze king. I am looking to change to a smaller rear discharge fisher stove. I already have an 90 degree elbow in my existing chimney. With a rear discharging stove I would be looking at adding another 90 degree elbow. I have over 20 feet of 8 inch double wall for my chimney. Would 2 elbows in the set up be a problem?

Thanks
Duke.

Each 90* elbow is equivalent to 3 feet of straight pipe resistance.
You mention "smaller" Fisher Stove. Are you considering the more efficient Bear Series with 6 inch outlet? The 8 inch choices in a Fisher are Grandma or Grandpa, not sure how they compare in size to what you have.
If so, the 8 inch chimney is more of a concern since it allows the hot gasses to expand and cool considerably. The extra volume from 6 inch outlet and connector pipe to 8 inch flue almost doubles the area inside flue requiring almost twice the amount of heat to be wasted up the chimney.

Thanks coals, I was hoping you would step in. I had a chance at a mama Bear stove but after looking through the manual on this site I am a couple inches short for the recommended hearth pad. So I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks.
Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.