new metal vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I picked up this new metal vac at Sears. I am going to use it to clean out my cold pellet stove. not a bad price $68 for a vac with a metal container.. Still will need all the precautions I use with any vac. sears vac.jpg

Hello

Very nice price! That should do the trick!

I would still use the HEPA filter and a Fine filtration bag (drywall dust bag).

I bought a Ash vac last season. My Shop vac not only has 3 times the suction power, but has a cleaner exhaust than the ash vac (even on 1st use). The bag and HEPA are the only way to go.

Thats a Fine looking vac though. My buddy bought one that looks like that. Only its made by Chan-Nel-Lock.

I have a large 18 gal 6.5 HP for my Pellet Sifter/Car Vacuum, a 3.5 HP 6 gal unit for the Fahrenheit and Quad, and a 2 gal 1HP small unit for the Shop stove. I prefer the Shop Vac over the Ash Vac. Maybe its cause I bought a cheap one. But they all have shorter hoses, that are very stiff, and the filters work fine, until they get clogged. Then it has zero suction.

Reactions: smoke show
It's a nice vac, but is it made for vacuuming ash from pellet stoves?

Tom C.

It's a nice vac, but is it made for vacuuming ash from pellet stoves?

Tom C.
No, it is a shop wet dry vac. With a fine filter on it, it will do the trick on a cold stove. I like the idea of it being metal. If there is a sneaky hot a ash, it may just give another layer of protection. By no means should someone get a false sence of security with this. But for the price, it will do a darn good job for alot less money than with an ash vac that you still have to use caution with. I have used a plastic one for three years without problem. Keep it empty and clean. Put all ash in a covered metal container that is sat on a non combustible surface and away from anything that can catch fire.

Looks like R2-D2. ;lol

I'm with Dexter. I won an ash vac. top of the line ash vac. Still prefer the shop vac.

Only the drywall bag here. No hepa. Much more versatile IMO.

Reactions: save$ and DexterDay
For $100, that is a real good deal and it is a stove vacuum.

Tom C.

I got this one for about $50 from Menards... I hate it. Very short hose. Good suction, until you suck just a little ash. Then it has Zero suction. Lesson learned. Im stickin with my Shop vac. The stove should be cold with whatever you use.

No vac is designed to suck coals. It says "warm" ash. Take that for what its worth.

Edit- Oh and its loud as all heck....

ashvac2.jpg

Had a cheetah but found 1 hot cinder. Then I had smoke in the house and a grumpy missus. I don't miss the vac at all it never had any suction. My Rigid shop vac works much better on an always COLD stove.;em

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.