New mt vernon auger jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serveprotect

Sep 26, 2012
Woke up this am to a cold stove. The thermostat was showing auger jam. Not very happy because i am not even through the first ton with this stove. Havent had a chance to mess with this stove because of work. What do i need to do to trouble shoot? Hopper is half full...

clean out hopper make sure nothing is jamming it. You might have to remove the auger.

Eric

Eric, how does the auger come out? Have not messed with it before. Guessing it comes out of hopper.

Unplug the stove. looking at the stove remove the right rear panel I think four screws and look inside.

Well just emptied all the pellets vacuumed best i could. Put some more back in and trying to fire up after. Not sure if i want to pull the auger lots of wires and stove is new. I cant tell if the auger is moving or not. Guess im burning oil tonight. Ridiculous...

Warranty question. I bought this stove from a dealer back home roughly 4 hours away. Will the company send out a local dealer?

Update. Unplugged stove twice last night. I could hear pellets grinding and the auger clunking. It went through two autocleans and ended up clearing itself. Im glad its working but hoping this is not a continuing problem.

Reactions: smoke show
Not sure what kind of pellets you are using but you if there a lot of fines or sawdust then you might want to consider screening the pellets before putting them into the stove. Or if you just opening the pellet bag and dropping them in you might want to pour the pellets into something first to get some of the sawdust off them. This should keep it out of the stove and stop any auger jams.

Warranty question. I bought this stove from a dealer back home roughly 4 hours away. Will the company send out a local dealer?

Read the warranty with your stove. Service calls are not covered at all. Your contact is the dealer where you bought your stove. Any dealer can get you warranty parts but service is not part of the warranty. **service calls, sorry**

Eric

Thanks eric i had another jam this am. I unplugged stove, i then got a min burnpot temp error, hit retry and it fired up. Going to contact dealer.

what brand fuel are you burning?

North americans. I am also on last few bags but they look the same as previous bags. I want to get through these and try running some other brand through to see if it solves my problem.

Not sure what kind of pellets you are using but you if there a lot of fines or sawdust then you might want to consider screening the pellets before putting them into the stove. Or if you just opening the pellet bag and dropping them in you might want to pour the pellets into something first to get some of the sawdust off them. This should keep it out of the stove and stop any auger jams.
I have never paid attention to the fines that get tossed into the hopper and I have never had an auger "jam". I occasionally see fines trickling down the feed chute along with pellets, but I have never had them do any harm.
The only auger problem I have ever had with my Mt Vernon was with Infernos that had pellets almost 1.5 inches long. The long pellets would bridge the chute and keep pellets from feeding. I unblocked it by taking a long piece of 14 gauge wire and poking it up the chute (power off) until the pellets spilled down. Since I stopped using Infernos I haven't had any feed problems at all.

Thanks for the input its hard to figure out what is causing the jam. As i stated earlier i dont think fines are the cause. When i cleaned it out i stuck my hand in from the hopper and it felt clear. Maybe they are bridging near the top of auger or drop tube. Next time it happens il try running some wire. Hopefully the auger is not getting damaged. Is there a way to run the auger with pellets out and the hopper open to see how it is working?

Is there a way to run the auger with pellets out and the hopper open to see how it is working?
I know the hopper lid switch is magnetic and can be fooled by a small permanent magnet. Just don't drop it into the hopper. I assume that the hopper empty sensor is similar.
I am not quite sure of myself on this, but I believe that the auger motion is sensed by an optical sensor with a lined disk (a transparent disk with black lines on it) on the auger shaft. Dust or dirt or pellet fines could cause the optical sensor to be blind to the lined disk turning. The cure is to blow the dust away with some canned gas such as is sold for cleaning computers.

i've burned NA pellets before.... not a GREAT pellet, but certainly not BAD either. Not a lot of longs if i remember correctly either. It shouldn't be the source of your troubles if quality has sayed the same (its been a few years).

Be careful sticking your hand in there. It's a good way to lose a finger.

Not sure I would be sticking my hand in without the stove being off at briansol says finger or hand could be lost.

Yeah it was unplugged but i wonder if a finger would jam the auger or if it would feed through...

Read the warranty with your stove. Service calls are not covered at all. Your contact is the dealer where you bought your stove. Any dealer can get you warranty parts but service is not part of the warranty.

Eric
When did the warranty stop covering labor or service calls?

Or are you just refering to service calls from dealers other than the one you purchased the stove from?

Some of those auger motors develop a lot of torque and you can get your fingers mutilated. Keep appendages away from that auger at all times the stove is plugged in

When did the warranty stop covering labor or service calls?

Or are you just refering to service calls from dealers other than the one you purchased the stove from?

Read the warranty. HHT does not cover service calls, the customer's parts are covered for certain periods depending on the time frame. No labor or house calls is in the warranty. If a dealer does that it is on him and not HHT. ***whopsy labor is included but not a service call***

Eric

Read the warranty. HHT does not cover service calls, the customer's parts are covered for certain periods depending on the time frame. No labor or house calls is in the warranty. If a dealer does that it is on him and not HHT.

Eric

Must have changed since 08, fire pots, electrical , labor included. My manual has a lot of labor included for everything warrantied.

Must have changed since 08, fire pots, electrical , labor included. My manual has a lot of labor included for everything warrantied.

Yes you are correct but that does not include a service call. That is up to the dealer.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.