New Mt. Vernon Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mykr

Dec 26, 2007
Greater Milwaukee Area
I had a Mt. Vernon installed last week. An old Marco manufactured woodburner insert was removed and a Mt. Vernon insert was installed to replace. While the stone tear out and new stonework turned out flawless the stove doesn't work. (More on that) The old inner liner was removed and the new the exhaust sleeve (pardon my inexperience with terminology) was run up inside the existing sleeve. I spent quite a bit of money for this unit/install. We had strong winds the other night and it felt drafty in the room. When I inspected behind the insert yesterday I noticed I could see daylight up inside the liner with the new outlet up inside. I assume that no block off plate or something was not installed. I can feel the warm air from my living room rushing past the stove and up the old liner. I can only assume this shouldn't be, please confirm. The installer was a mason (did nice looking stone work) but seemed to know nothing about how to turn on or troubleshoot the stove.

Onto the non working part. I basically have an out of box failure as it lights up on the initial startup sequence but fails to go to the next phase. It will burn up the initial pellet drop for the startup and the fire goes out. The igniter stays lit and it never drops any more pellets. I got little help from the dealer when we called their tech support guy together. He mentioned on the phone that it must be a control board and that he would order one, but no input on how to do actual troubleshooting and wouldn't come out. The stove manufacture date was Aug 2007, but the controller board manufacture date is March 2007. Any input here is appreciated. I suspect a bad thermocouple ( I checked for thermocouple contact with ceramic cover and exposure to flame) or a bad board. I fear that we will order a board, just to wait for it to come and it may be something else. Whereas if proper (hands on) troubleshooting were done we could have the solution much quicker than throwing parts at it and hoping something fixes it, which takes more time and hassle in the end.

By the way, the Mt. Vernon looks great with the new stonework. But so far an expensive piece of furniture.

Yeah I agree, it could also be a thermocouple

it is most likely a bad firepot thermocouple or a bad connetion to the board if it does not come out of ss low have them change the fp tc and the problem should be fixed.

Have you tried to remove the thermocouple and reinserting it into the ceramic holder. if you do not have the thermocouple all the way touching the end the stove will not run right.

I did check the connection to the board as well as the full insertion of the thermocouple into the ceramic cover. Both seem to be good.
I asked them to order a thermocouple along with the board so that I don't have to wait again for parts to show, just in case. They are telling me it will be the 7th before a new board shows up. I even offered to pay overnight shipping and they still say the 7th of January. I assume they've gone "lean" at Quadra Fire and carry little if any inventory for spares.

It never goes into soft start mode and never get's out of the initial startup mode. It attempts to try restarting several times before giving up and indicating a missed ignition.

They did come out and fix the draft issue. So they are trying. I am not pleased about the lead time on the parts though.

Thanks for the inputs! I'm learning alot.

They got a bit overwheled at our parts depot here in the Midwest for pellet parts. I went to order a thermocouple and cover today and they are out and have about 2 pages of backorders put in. Looks like a big shipment of parts from Quad is due in soon which probably puts it out to about the 7th as they told you.

Parts finally showed after a bit of pressure on my part. They installed a control board, that didn't fix the issue. The they installed a thermocouple and that resolved the issue. The stove is up and runnning now and cranking out the heat. Two days in and optimistic. I would say that overall I am pleased with the install of the stove and very pleased with the mason work. The shortcoming is in parts availability. 2-3 weeks to obtain parts is not good customer support. I blame Quadra Fire for most of this however the dealer should take some repsonsibility. Common or troublesome parts should be kept on shelf for proper customer support. Additionally, Quadra Fire should require that the dealer stock a certain level of inventory in order to maintain good product support just to become and maintain a dealer status. If this is happening now, it's somehow lacking IMO. Other than the parts / product support issue Fireside Hearth and Home in Waukesha, Wisconsin performed a nice install. I would use them again.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
which thermocoupler..the firepot or the droptube?

There is no thermocouple in the drop tube. That is a snap switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.