New or used??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Turbo5upra

Oct 2, 2017
Upstate ny
Hi guys! first post here!

I bought a house in the spring with a fireplace- it is brick and I've been weighing my options at not spending a ton to feed the 30 year old forced air unit- I plan to replace next year with propane.

I was considering a pellet insert as I didn't want the mess of bringing wood into my living room with new hardwood floors however with 140 acres I think it just makes sense to use the wood I'd otherwise be giving to friends and family (there is plenty to go around)

I have wood I cut and split last year and some 3-4 year old stuff since my grandfather stopped burning wood- mostly maple and cherry....

Here is my dilemma... like the napoleon 1402 for $26xx shipped with the 25' liner and insulation but want to know your thoughts on a 4 year old Regency I2400- the couple has gotten past the age of handling wood and bought a LP insert... overall its clean but the fire brick needs to be replaced which they are having done. The liner that comes with their stove is too short for me- they were asking $1500 on CL but when I showed up they said the no haggle price was $1000. I told them I needed to read some reviews on it and think it over which they were fine with... Pricing the 25' liner and insulation I came up with $571- I let her know I was still thinking about it as it was a bit higher than I had expected and she said she would come down to 900-

So my question to you is do you think $1100 in savings is worth it- is 4 years unusual for the brick needing to be replaced and what else should I look for if you suggest the used route-

Thanks for reading my long winded post!

Hi guys! first post here!

I bought a house in the spring with a fireplace- it is brick and I've been weighing my options at not spending a ton to feed the 30 year old forced air unit- I plan to replace next year with propane.

I was considering a pellet insert as I didn't want the mess of bringing wood into my living room with new hardwood floors however with 140 acres I think it just makes sense to use the wood I'd otherwise be giving to friends and family (there is plenty to go around)

I have wood I cut and split last year and some 3-4 year old stuff since my grandfather stopped burning wood- mostly maple and cherry....

Here is my dilemma... like the napoleon 1402 for $26xx shipped with the 25' liner and insulation but want to know your thoughts on a 4 year old Regency I2400- the couple has gotten past the age of handling wood and bought a LP insert... overall its clean but the fire brick needs to be replaced which they are having done. The liner that comes with their stove is too short for me- they were asking $1500 on CL but when I showed up they said the no haggle price was $1000. I told them I needed to read some reviews on it and think it over which they were fine with... Pricing the 25' liner and insulation I came up with $571- I let her know I was still thinking about it as it was a bit higher than I had expected and she said she would come down to 900-

So my question to you is do you think $1100 in savings is worth it- is 4 years unusual for the brick needing to be replaced and what else should I look for if you suggest the used route-

Thanks for reading my long winded post!
On a side note I found a 10' liner extension on the home depot site- is that a bad route to take?

The $1100 saving is worth it, especially considering you would be getting a much nicer stove than a napoleon.. they are low end.

They use light weight pumice brick, it’s not uncommon to have busted up brick in that amount of time. Probably a good buy.

The $1100 saving is worth it, especially considering you would be getting a much nicer stove than a napoleon.. they are low end.

They use light weight pumice brick, it’s not uncommon to have busted up brick in that amount of time. Probably a good buy.
Thanks for that! Is extending and insulating the liner they have an option or do I need to go new?

You can extend the liner to suit your needs with a female to male adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the Regency will fit first. If so, it sounds like a decent deal, especially at this time of year.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to take a closer look at the stove tomorrow and as long as I don't see anything I will pick it up.

Stuck my head in the fireplace last night to find a brick chimney- I was thinking it was going to be steel... current plan is to buy an oval extension and adapt over to the used vent they are providing so I hopefully can avoid cutting and grinding.

I went with a coworker last night to look it over one more time before picking it up... husband had a few beverages before I got there...

Wife said they were still going to replace the fire brick and that it was $900- now mind you I hadn't once asked for a lower price- he chimes in that they weren't doing that.

We both looked at it and thought it was clean so I said I'd be in touch as soon I could come over to pick it up. Husband says to me "what are you taking" I responded the stove- he got pretty loud and told me I wasn't getting the liner or the cap or any of the other parts- at which point we started walking to the car and he kept going... she came to me and said she was sorry and asked if I still wanted it....

Sigh... Craigslist lol

New is always better in my opinion. But that's comparing equal to equal product. If you find another used stove, would go over every inch of that stove, you never know if its been overfired. Look for cracks, warpage, condition of firebricks, etc.

Most times your better off with new. Used stuff is often someone elses headache.
Think about it from a 20 year standpoint. You should have no issue getting 20 years out of a quality new stove.

And on another note......don't go propane! Do you have oil heat now? That's way better than propane of which there are no shortage of horror stories involving price, service, you name it. And often, its more expensive than oil heat.
Pellets are often around the same cost to heat your house as oil is. Pellets made sense back when oil went to $3.50-$4 a gallon but speaking in terms of now, oil is about $2 a gallon here and if you plugged that all into a heat cost calculator, I bet oil would come out cheaper.
Our main heat is oil. I have a ton of options to buy oil from and that means competition. Plus I plan on buying a 2nd oil tank so I always fill in the summer for the way cheaper prices.

New is always better in my opinion. But that's comparing equal to equal product. If you find another used stove, would go over every inch of that stove, you never know if its been overfired. Look for cracks, warpage, condition of firebricks, etc.

Most times your better off with new. Used stuff is often someone elses headache.
Think about it from a 20 year standpoint. You should have no issue getting 20 years out of a quality new stove.

And on another note......don't go propane! Do you have oil heat now? That's way better than propane of which there are no shortage of horror stories involving price, service, you name it. And often, its more expensive than oil heat.
Pellets are often around the same cost to heat your house as oil is. Pellets made sense back when oil went to $3.50-$4 a gallon but speaking in terms of now, oil is about $2 a gallon here and if you plugged that all into a heat cost calculator, I bet oil would come out cheaper.
Our main heat is oil. I have a ton of options to buy oil from and that means competition. Plus I plan on buying a 2nd oil tank so I always fill in the summer for the way cheaper prices.

Next summer I plan on installing on demand propane hot water- so I'd like to limit my energy suppliers. Also next summer I'm adding a new furnace and am considering a wood add on- using the wood insert in the evenings and weekends to avoid the mess full time burning will cause in the house. The propane would be shoulder season and occational use thing.

We pulled brick last night and looked for signs of overfiring and it checked out good.

I've got a couple things on my plate at the moment so I'm going to step back for a couple days and see what she comes back with.