New Pacific Energy Super Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warrenoliver

Mar 13, 2019
mcfarland, wi
I've been burning this stove for a week now. I couldn't be happier with it! I previously had a VC Resolute Acclaim and was tired of putting several hundred dollars into it every 2-3 years.

The most surprising thing about this new stove is how much differently it burns and heats the house. The VC was a top load which I really liked but I am adjusting to front load - it helps that the stove is on a 6" hearth. The VC burned a load fairly quickly and then cooled fairly quickly. It came back up to temperature with a new load. The PE stove burns the load slower and then leaves a big pile of very hot coals for hours. This hot coal bed is something I didn't expect and I really like because it helps to moderate the temperature over a longer period. I also am surpised that the radiant heat through the front glass is much more than the VC stove even though the actual glass size is not that different.

I now go through very little kindling. With the VC stove, I would need cardboard and kindling to restart the stove in the morning. Now, I load the fire box in the evening and 8-9 hours later, there is a significant bed of coals that does not require kindling, I can load some small splits and open the draft and it is burning in less than a minute.

So far, I am very pleased with the PE stove. I don't know if the stove will burn less wood because I haven't had it long enough but I do know that the basement temps are consistently about 8-10 degrees warmer than previously.

Warrenoliver

Reactions: coreboy83
Good to hear it's working out for you. The medium sized PE firebox gets exceptionally good burntimes. As you've noted this helps reduce room temperature swing. With the cast iron jacket on the Alderlea room temps are even more even. As for maintenance, about all you should need for the first 8-10 yrs is the cheap baffle gasket which you could make your own. I replaced our door gasket at year 8 and am on year 3 of a DIY baffle gasket.