New Pellet Insert Owner - A few questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kbvw

Dec 1, 2023
Nevada
Greetings all-
I have a new-to-me Harman P35i-C I will be installing.
Tile hearth extension and mantle will be going in soon, the pics are for reference during test fit.
I am going to be covering up this brick with concrete.
- Are there any foreseeable issues by covering up the existing passive convection vents (both intake and exhaust pics #1 and #2)?
- When installing the chimney liner, what is the general consensus on pipe insulation?
-My existing chimney has a rain cap similar to the 3rd picture (that is not my roof). Is it standard to remove this and install a new cap that attaches to the liner, or is it code to terminate it into the existing cap space with, say, the open end of the liner/flue pipe?
-I also have an oil furnace, separate venting chimney, but shared structure. They do not share the same flue. Anything else I should be considering before I install?
-Does the existing chimney flue need to be cleaned before installing the liner, or would this be redundant?
Thanks so much for your input.
image_6487327.JPG

image_123927839.JPG

a3.jpg

- Yes get the existing flue cleaned. If not it will be trickling the creosote/ash down onto the back of your stove.
- Measure your clay flue and get a collar plate for that size. it glues down to the top of the clay flue and has a stub up in the middle with a built in clamp to hold the liner and a cap clamps on over top of that.
- you can cover the convection vents. It has no affect on the pellet stove.