New Project Upland 107....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWoods

Feb 15, 2016
North Central Maryland
Hi,

Been looking for one and I picked this up yesterday for 100 bucks...an Upland 107 (serial number 49215). The man I purchased this from says his father bought new in 77 or 78. It seems overall solid (no cracks) and I plan to rebuild over the winter for next year. My everyday stove is an Upland 27, so I guess I am an Upland geek (have a Upland 17 in basement too).

My question is this....does anyone have a idea of how the grates work (see picture looking at top of the stove)? I don't see how they would fit into the stove but the man I bought the stove from insisted they belong to this stove (but he did not know how and I am skeptical).

Any ideas or tips are appreciated. I love my other Uplands so I am excited to refurbish this one.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_194007650.jpg
    IMG_20191003_194007650.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 284
Hi - I am finally getting this project moving - an Upland 107 rebuild (some new job(s) and a relocation to another state all got in the way :confused:). I hope to get installed this fall.

Quick question: The rear collar is oval - 5.5" to 8.5" which seems to be an odd size (a squished 7"). I need to go to reduce to a 6" flu. Any thoughts where I can get a one piece elbow to fit? Doesn't seem readily available at woodman's. I also posted some soon to be assembled pieces.

Any insight appreciated.

Thank you

T.

IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0642.jpg

Wow. 4 years later, time to get at it! If those fist two pics are current then the finish held up well over all that time! haha

Reach out to my buddy Dana LaPan at lapansantiquestoves.com and he can make you some custom stove pipe to get it to a 6”. I had him make some for my shop and it came out perfect, made me a custom oval to 90deg 6” adapter, then made me my 6” stovepipe as well, he has this fancy machine for like folding the seam together, really high quality stuff.

Reactions: TWoods and begreen
Thanks D. Hermit. And yes....lol...it's time. But I hope I at least get some credit for not trashing it and moving all the pieces to the new house. 😁 I will check out Dana's site. Thanks again for the recommendation. Cheers,

Reactions: begreen
Hi All:

Finally finished the rebuild and installed the stove (pics attached). :) I still need to do a break in fire but I am waiting for a day when I can have windows open (I learned that from experience lol). I am also waiting for my permit inspection but don't anticipate issues. I used single wall pipe and our area in Maryland only requires that you follow original manufacturer guidelines. This should provide good warmth in the basement and the whole house. I also have the fire screen for the front doors but I still need to clean that up a bit (so pics of that). I am sucker for older stoves and encourage everyone to keep them alive.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheers.

T.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image3.jpeg

Reactions: Dunmyermowingllc
It looks great, like new. It's amazing what paint can do. Be sure there is 2" of clean sand on the bottom of the firebox and doa few small break-in fires to gradually bring the stove back to operating temperature.

Before burning, note that the hearth is inadequate. The stove will radiate a lot of heat when going. There needs to be at least 16" of hearth with a R=1.19 insulating value in front of the stove. Does the hearth under the stove meet this requirement? What is behind the brick wall? Is this a veneer of half brick on a wood stud wall or full brick?

User manual is here:

Last edited:
Thanks, Begreen. My plan was to do as you mention with small fires and use sand. I also will put a fireproof matt in front of the stove on the floor (probably 2' x 3 or 4' ft in semi-circle style). To answer your questions:

1) The hearth under the stove is a solid brick on top of a poured concrete slab (this stove is in basement where an oil furnace used to be). The house was converted to a heat pump prior to us moving in and the basement was finished to a family room. It gets a little chilly there even when the rest of the house is heated so that was my inspiration.

2) Rear of hearth is also solid brick with a concrete block wall behind - essentially full brick over the house foundation wall. The chimney has two flues - the one with the stove and another for the fireplace above in the living room. I hated having an unused flue - so that was on my list to solve that. :)

With the matt in front of the stove, I think I should be ok. But please let me know if my thinking is off base. I'm not an engineer or construction guy.. I just like to tinker.

cheers,

T.

That's excellent protection under and behind the stove. A black Hy-C, type 2 board would do the trick. They come in 48" x 18" and 32" x 28". Or make a custom pad. I wouldn't use a hearth rug there. It won't provide the heat protection.

Reactions: TWoods