New quadra fire cab50 noise.... is it normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RRL

Feb 17, 2015
Canada Ontario
So i have a new quadra fire cab50 that was installed Wednesday last week and about 2 days ago it started making a new noise and seems to be getting a little louder.

I am assuming it COULD be just some ash debris as thats all that i can see that would cause any kind of issue at this point. but wanted to have a 2nd opinion.

The stove has burned roughly 8 bags of pellets so far (320lbs) ive cleaned so far the fire pot daily with the rod and have vacuumed the firebox and scrapped the fire pot etc. Haven't removed the baffles or anything else yet.

This is my 1st pellet stove so im not familiar with the norm of it.

the noise seems to be focused on the back right side (when facing unit)

here is a quick video so you can hear the noise im referring to.

the stove is under warranty and I can get the installed to come verify the issue but don't want to call him down if I dont have to.

Video won't play, says Private...

Nope...

the noise is present mostly on medium and low speeds. on high i just barely hear that noise but ill let it run a little longer and see if the noise comes back full swing on high setting..

scratch that...the noise is still there on high but just more constant. just doesnt seem as loud because the blower fan is louder.

Last edited:
Sounds like dry bearings to me. Just because it's new don't mean the motor bearings have been lubed properly. Cold have been dry from the factory (in China)...lol Big influx of Chinese drives today.

Reactions: RRL
ahh ok! that would be a downer. guess ill be calling the install company to see whats up / repair!

Last edited:
Sounds like dry bearings to me. Just because it's new don't mean the motor bearings have been lubed properly. Cold have been dry from the factory (in China)...lol Big influx of Chinese drives today.
I will add that the noise doesnt start right away... it takes a couple minutes to start almost like once its hot it starts making the noise... and the longer it runs before the T stats huts it down the more pronounced the noise is...

when i have it on high the stove cycles on and off a lot more so the noise doesnt come in as loud vs running longer on a lower heat setting

Last edited:
Typical of dry bearings. When they get warm is when they get noisy. It's under warranty (or should be). Let the dealer deal with it. I would not fiddle with it or the dealer might tell you to pound sand. The newest import drives are very suspect and I bet that is what you have. Stove builders with the exception of Harman in their high end units use the least expensive components.

Sysko can tell you about the quality of the import drives.

haha good to know!

I wont touch anything and try to fix anything +as its under warranty and the installer said he couldnt make it out as he just blew the diff in his truck but said to give it a couple days and see if it gets worse or goes away.. (guessing he was maybe thinking debris or what not) said its under warranty so no stress as to what ever happens (he knows its used as a secondary heat so im not stranded without heat)

anyways it was annoying the crap out of me as the stove is in the same room as my office so took the one side panel off just to see if i could see anything out of place or anything and the noise went away... i cleaned off some of the dust around the door re snugged the screws and no noise still as of yet though its been only 5 mins...

so MAYBE it was just debris between the panel and stove causing vibration! fingers crossed!

thinking the blower fan was maybe causing a suction inside the stove causing the panel to vibrate. (the fan that blows the hot air around the room not sure on proper term for that one)

Last edited:
I put nylon washers between all my panels and the stove frame to insulated them from harmonics. Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: RRL
just a small update... looks like this thread is closed... noise hasn't come back yet! so i can def chalk it off as panel vibration!

thanks for all your input! I