New Rebates for Heat Pumps in MA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
MassSave, the organization that offers incentives for efficiency and weatherization upgrades in MA has some new rebates for heat pumps that are pretty compelling. Worth a look if you live in MA.

Reactions: mcdougy
We had looked at those back when we moved in, mostly as a way to get central air since the house already had the ductwork, but also to reduce heating costs over the propane furnace. We shelved it for a bit since we were getting the wood stove, which reduce heating costs. Well last week our furnace got condemned! So we're looking at this again.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Got off the phone with Mass Save a bit ago, and boy am I gonna have to jump through some hoops.

So to get the up to $10k whole house rebate you have to have an inspector come to your house who will make weatherization upgrade suggestions that you HAVE to complete before the heatpump installation. We had them come last year and they wanted a full basement encapsulation, a full reinstulation of the attic (in our case meaning ripping up the plywood floors to remove the existing insulation) and adding a bunch of roof vents. I'm really not interested in going through all that yet.

The other Partial-Home $1,250/ton rebate is specifically to suppliment an existing system (or heat just part of a house). What the unfortunately means from what they told me is that I cannot go to a contractor and get the furnace, exterior heat pump unit, and interior unit installed together as it would be a whole new heating system. Eventually though they admitted there is nothing from stopping me from just getting a contractor to give me one quote for the furnace, and one for the heatpump. Have them do the furnace first so it becomes the 'existing heat system' apply for a $1k rebate for that, and then have them do the heatpump seperately so you can get the $1,250/ton rebate.

So much "jumping around" so sorry you have to go through all that for a rebate ---rebates should be easy to get to encourage the right buying of a product....clancey

Last edited:
Got off the phone with Mass Save a bit ago, and boy am I gonna have to jump through some hoops.

We had MassSave evaluate our house five years ago. We topsealed, added additional blown in insulation and insulated the exterior garage walls. All that work cost us very little.

We're not looking into adding minisplits for cooling (and heating). We have hydronic hot water heating by natural gas, which is pretty efficient already, and has been relatively inexpensive in the past. It will be more expensive this year. We also have solar, and excess capacity, so I could shift some heating from NG to heat pump and use up some of the excess...

From my initial reading, it sounded like I would have to call MassSave in again. I don't think they're going to find very much further for us to do. One thing I'd consider is moving the insulation barrier from the attic floor to the roof sheathing (blown closed cell foam). This would give more insulation overall and allow me to install AC or heat pump equipment in the attic (at minimum the air exchanger and maybe some ducting). If the cost is reasonable, I might go that route...

But...I'll bet the wait for a MassSave consult and then work to be scheduled is not insignificant. I'll get that going tomorrow. And it needs to be done before a heat pump is installed.

We had MassSave evaluate our house five years ago. We topsealed, added additional blown in insulation and insulated the exterior garage walls. All that work cost us very little.

We're not looking into adding minisplits for cooling (and heating). We have hydronic hot water heating by natural gas, which is pretty efficient already, and has been relatively inexpensive in the past. It will be more expensive this year. We also have solar, and excess capacity, so I could shift some heating from NG to heat pump and use up some of the excess...

From my initial reading, it sounded like I would have to call MassSave in again. I don't think they're going to find very much further for us to do. One thing I'd consider is moving the insulation barrier from the attic floor to the roof sheathing (blown closed cell foam). This would give more insulation overall and allow me to install AC or heat pump equipment in the attic (at minimum the air exchanger and maybe some ducting). If the cost is reasonable, I might go that route...

But...I'll bet the wait for a MassSave consult and then work to be scheduled is not insignificant. I'll get that going tomorrow. And it needs to be done before a heat pump is installed.
Check with MassSave when you call them, but I'm fairly certain they won't subsidize moving the insulation from the attic floor to the roof.

Check with MassSave when you call them, but I'm fairly certain they won't subsidize moving the insulation from the attic floor to the roof.
Right. I fully expect that. Might still be worth it if it gives me the ability to put mechanicals in the attic. I don't want to put air handlers or ducting in an unconditioned space...

Wish I could do it myself...looks like a very relaxing job...blow the material onto the surface and watch it grow into its final shape and coverage... But once i add up the equipment rental and the material, not to mention time, it's probably less expensive to hire a pro...

Actually it appears the phone people at Mass Save are just very poorly trained. HVAC contractor I'm working with (one of their approved heatpump installers) has basically just told me to ignore them.

Right now I'm in the final stages of getting a 0% MassSave Heat Loan from them to replace our furnace, add a heatpump, and add zone control. Just need to sign the closing documents and pick up the check. When you do that loan they factor in the rebates from the beginning to just reduce the principle balance.

Heatpump we'll be getting is one of the 60,000 BTU Bosch inverter units paired with a ~47,000 BTU coil and 2-stage 96% propane furnace. $4,791 rebate on the heatpump, $1,000 rebate on the furnace.

Actually it appears the phone people at Mass Save are just very poorly trained. HVAC contractor I'm working with (one of their approved heatpump installers) has basically just told me to ignore them.

Right now I'm in the final stages of getting a 0% MassSave Heat Loan from them to replace our furnace, add a heatpump, and add zone control. Just need to sign the closing documents and pick up the check. When you do that loan they factor in the rebates from the beginning to just reduce the principle balance.

Heatpump we'll be getting is one of the 60,000 BTU Bosch inverter units paired with a ~47,000 BTU coil and 2-stage 96% propane furnace. $4,791 rebate on the heatpump, $1,000 rebate on the furnace.

We purchased a home in Northern Worcester county last year, and immediately began doing some upgrades to it. It’s a 2005 build, 2x6 construction, with an 18 yr old ducted hvac system, and a 95% condensing gas furnace, four T A/C 10 seer.

we had an energy assessment completed by the end of the year, insulation and sealing done this year.

we have quotes from 10 HVAC contractors, two of which completed both the manual J, and heat load calcs.

Last quote we received, was for a Bosch BOVB 60, with a four ton, handler, keeping our furnace as backup.

The quote reads, that this system satisfies the Mass Save requirements for a whole house heating system, and qualifies for a $10,000 whole house rebate.

My question is, the requirement for the unit, is to produce 80% of the heat requirement, which this system would do.
The whole-home verification form has three options under customer verification:

Pre-existing heating system has been removed.
Pre-existing system has been disconnected.
Pre-existing system remains in place and connected but will only be in use during heat pump maintenance or maintenance downtime.

The rebate form gets into integrated controls, and then we skip down to the $1250/ton rebate line.

Do we know the real story here?
8.4 kw solar system, 900/kw/ mo.