New Record for me, Federal taxes are done and filed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Despite a more complicated tax situation as an independent contractor last year, I really didnt have many documents I was waiting for in order to file and the last one showed up a few days ago. I wanted to pick up some extra "I" bonds this year so I deliberately overpaid my 4th quarter estimated taxes by a bit and asked for my refund in "I" bonds. The rate is not as good as last year but still better than a bank, so I am going to build a "ladder" with them until the rates start to drop again and then decide if I want to keep going.

It was the first time doing a schedule C, I was only supposed to work for four or five months last year but it stretched out to November. I should have bought a more business equipment ;). Turbo Tax came out with a version for small business, but I have to say I had to do a lot more searching for where the various expenses and deductions end up.

I think next year's taxes will get real simple since I do not plan to work.

I will do mine in February when my wife goes to visit for her mom's birthday.

Reactions: clancey
I work but I have a simple life therefore simple taxes. Just got my mortgage interest statement the other day. Not like I ever qualify to use it but it’s always worth it to check. So I’ll be doing mine soon.

I used to wait until the last week because I always owed money to the state and never looked forward to it. That changed in the last few years, now I get just a little bit back.

I went to H&R Block once a couple years ago, because my mom said they were good at getting more back. They wanted to charge me like $250 to do my simple form, and would have been getting back only slightly more than that total so most of it would have paid them. So I said nope. It was also no improvement over what I did myself.

Got my IRS check and I bonds in the mail on the same day yesterday (2/21).

New record for me as well. I've never thought about doing my taxes this early before! 😆

I think mine got delayed a bit as there was a long holiday weekend and I elected to get my refund in I Bonds which get issued from the Treasury.