New roof before or after woodstove install? Your opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Hello all,

I am having a new roof put on my house-- Dad came down today to paint, and suggested waiting until after I have the roof done to have the woodstove installed.. His opinion was that I may possibly have to have new plywood, and some truss repair done, and the chimney would just be one more thing that the roofer had to work around.. My opinion is that I want all roof penetrations done now- then the final step would be the new roof-- I asked him why would I have a new roof put on, then have another trade come right after them to cut a hole in it..

What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Bob

I am no carpenter or roofer, all wood I touch turns to kindling no matter what I try to do with it, but I would put the stack in first. I only want one guy to call if that roof leaks and I don't want two guys standing there pointing at each other going "He did it!".

Exactly what I was thinking Brother Bart.-- I am a plumber by trade, and would be very hesitant to cut in a roof vent right after the roofer left-- On the other hand, my Dad is an engineer, and said if the leak is in the area of the stack, they would both be pointing at each otherso have the roof done, wait and check for leaks, then have the stack done, so if I did have a leak, it would be clear who is responsible..

Last spring I had a roofing bee, re-shingled the cabin. Late summer I got around to worrying about the woodstove, chimney etc. I realized the old stainless steel chimney needed to be replaced, had to tear out the old flashing (new chimney wouldn't fit) and cut a bigger hole to meet the 2" to combustibles. I was beating myself up for a while about how stupid I had been to not look into that earlier. While the new shingles were being put on would have been the moment to put that new flashing on. With a Selkirk-Metalsbestos set-up I think that's all you'd really need to be doing - the flashing. Unless it needs to be braced, but I'm not sure how that works.

I would have everything ready and parts handy for when the roofers arrive. Have them cut the hole in the roof decking to line up with the pipe and install the new flashing with the new roof system. Seems to me to be perfect timing and the best way to do the job.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I want the roof to be the last thing done. If it leaks I just have to call the roofer back.

my 2 bits.....get the stack in before the roofer leaves, let him do his thing. If you wait till after the roofs done, you'll have to deal with sealing it..if you do it when the roofers there, he does. If theres a leak, the roofer has to fix it, and im sure hes more qualified to fix leaks than the stove installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.