new saw vs. chainsaw modifications

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I see lots of people wanting to upgrade on their saw and/or want to know how to properly tune it.
Here's a great thread about simply adding a modified exhaust pipe which is a great idea for any two stoke. They refer to it as modifying the exhaust port but it's simply a muffler which allow the hot gases to escape easier, which will greatly improve overall operation and extends the life of the motor considerably. The only thing I would add is that while you have the muffler off, look inside the exhaust port and see all the little ridges that impede air flow. These can be easily taken down with a dremel being careful not to get any dust or chips into the cylinder. You can do the same on the carb end and now you will have cleaned the ports. http://www.treeworld.info/f42/chainsaw-muffler-modifications-internet-sales-world-

And here's the tune-up guide: 1925.htmlhttp://web.archive.org/web/20051018212959/www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Now just add a more aggressive chain and you have saved a bundle of money over buying a bigger saw!

Hope this helps.

Have fun and remember, safety first.

I can see why someone would modify a newer EPA bs saw but as afar as moding and older capable saw...I dunno.

savageactor7 said:
I can see why someone would modify a newer EPA bs saw but as afar as moding and older capable saw...I dunno.

What is an older capable saw that can not be improved? It's older capable saws that benefit the most and the mods don't negate any warranty.

kenny chaos said:
I see lots of people wanting to upgrade on their saw and/or want to know how to properly tune it.
Here's a great thread about simply adding a modified exhaust pipe which is a great idea for any two stoke. They refer to it as modifying the exhaust port but it's simply a muffler which allow the hot gases to escape easier, which will greatly improve overall operation and extends the life of the motor considerably. The only thing I would add is that while you have the muffler off, look inside the exhaust port and see all the little ridges that impede air flow. These can be easily taken down with a dremel being careful not to get any dust or chips into the cylinder. You can do the same on the carb end and now you will have cleaned the ports. http://www.treeworld.info/f42/chainsaw-muffler-modifications-internet-sales-world-

And here's the tune-up guide: 1925.htmlhttp://web.archive.org/web/20051018212959/www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Now just add a more aggressive chain and you have saved a bundle of money over buying a bigger saw!

Hope this helps.

Have fun and remember, safety first.

My last saw (Stihl 41) was older than me. I gave it away and it is still running.

My current saw (Stihl 290) is 5+ years old and showing no signs of wearing out.

I do not believe a good saw can be worn out by a guy cutting his firewood.

Just my humble opinion.

Hey Dummies you're not paying attention!
I didn't say anything about modifying a worn out saw or anything about wearing out a saw at all.
If you're happy with what you have, that's just peaches but if you're not, slight mods are fun to do and give happy returns.
Anybody here ever have the head of an axe fly off and hit them in the head?

I got an 041 an 272xp and for what I use 'em for they plenty powerful as is...most of the time the 272 is cutting well at half trigger. I suppose if I were cutting commercially or selling firewood and forced to make production schedule's I might feel different about modifications. Except for wind damage cleanup I'm content just to make steady progress without getting the tractor stuck or hitting any rocks or barbed wire.

I can fully understand the appeal of saving money by tweaking an underpowered saw to perform like an up-graded saw. But if your saw is perfect for what you use it for...why dick with it?

Port it and learn how to tune right,and you will get alot more out of your saw. Runs cooler as well that will help make it last longer

Modding a saw exhaust has one downside that does matter for some - NOISE - it may not matter if you are out in the middle of the woods some where, but many of us cut in suburbia, where we have close by neighbors - that I don't really want to annoy any more than I have to... IMHO that means keeping the saw as quiet as practical - granted that isn't very, but if Officer Not-so-friendly shows up to enforce some noise ordinance (passed because some idiot doesn't realize that noise annoys....) it will help some if you can say that the saw is stock, and the noise level is as god (aka the manufacturer :lol: ) intended....

I do much of my cutting on log-length in my backyard, I don't want my saw to be any louder than it has to be.

Gooserider

Gentlemen,

While modifying a piston and cylinder will help the really older saws, modding the muffler will not.

The whole reason modern saws respond so well to modification is because their mufflers are very restrictive. The older saws were very easy breathing.

and stainless steel screen can be bought at McMaster Carr.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay in answering, just found this post with links to my other thread.

Scott.

ScottWojo said:
Gentlemen,

While modifying a piston and cylinder will help the really older saws, modding the muffler will not.

The whole reason modern saws respond so well to modification is because their mufflers are very restrictive. The older saws were very easy breathing.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay in answering, just found this post with links to my other thread.

Scott.

+1 case and point I have a 1958 bolens chainsaw there is no muffler just a straight pipe

webie said:
ScottWojo said:
Gentlemen,

Scott.

+1 case and point I have a 1958 bolens chainsaw there is no muffler just a straight pipe

Sounds like my 770-D - just a deflector, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.