New scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
The farm I'm working on that has that dead standing elm has a couple more trees to take down. A couple scroungy ash 12' tall or so (lots of branches) a larger ash (25' or so) and a similar size silver maple.

Looks like there is a good reason to finish taking down that $#%@! elm I guess.

I can hear my mom now "Eat your peas before your desert". "....yes mom"

Will try to snap a picture next time I'm out there.

Elm? Nooooooooo!

Scotty you got a deal! I will split it and bring it over personally, you pay for the shipping of course.

Does anyone know how much carry on wood you can bring with you in First Class?

Reactions: Shane N and ScotO
Scotty you got a deal! I will split it and bring it over personally, you pay for the shipping of course.

Whatever you can fit into your pockets.

Ok, took a better look at the trees. Definitely an ash and a maple against the barn on the left, but the two right ones have me perplexed.

Close up of the bark

Close up of the leaves

Some kind of birch?

The smaller one looks like mulberry leaves. Looks like the ash will be pretty easy to get also.
Possible red elm maybe.

The one right against the barn is a Mulberry. Those bright green lobey ( I think thats a word ;em) are a mulberry leaf.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Well the landowner asked me to take the trees out near the barn before finishing the elm (ahhhh shucks), so I had a couple hours last night and started on it.

Definitely Mulberry in my opinion. The tree was not very tall and had a lot of small branches so I really worked for what I got. Spent more time cleaning up trimming and cleaning up branches then felling and bucking, but hey it's Mulberry.

Reactions: Woody Stover
they look like crab apple or apple and mulberry is definitely in there and maybe a red elm. lol...yes limby. The leaves are suffering from chlorosis. Dont know what they are. They most likey grew from seeds of actually planted trees. Maybe plum too. And an Ash thats rubbing the roof. Fruitwood is always nice. Elm is good too.

Ive been researching Mulberry on the internet, tracing its roots. Its interesting that alot of fruit trees are traced back to Asia and China. I have a friend that goes to Thialand all the time and now Im curious. Its also interesting how mulberry is 'native' and not native. Fruit trees are more worldly and more traveled than we are. lol

The extra work of splitting elm makes you better appreciate the BTU's it makes.

Reactions: schlot
Dont pass on the elm. You just gotta know how to deal with it. Kinda gotta get the mindset of "Am I smarter than a chunk of wood?" deal.

Dont pass on the elm. You just gotta know how to deal with it. Kinda gotta get the mindset of "Am I smarter than a chunk of wood?" deal.
...and if the answer is "no" then what?

Two down...two to go, once I sharpen my chain that is. Throwing too much sawdust to do much more then finish the limbs on the ash.

Reactions: chvymn99
Got to the second tree that I thinking was a mulberry, but the owner of the acreage next to the barn said he thought it was a Plum. He said it smelled really good each spring.

If it is a Plum or Flowering Crab, how will they work for smoking meat? I have a BIL who bought a new smoker and loves it so I trimmed up a bunch of 1" - 2" diameter branches into 6" lengths thinking he could use it if it for smoking, but that's when I thought it was Mulberry.

40 lbs before the "up" charge

Two down...two to go, once I sharpen my chain that is. Throwing too much sawdust to do much more then finish the limbs on the ash.

You screwed it up! You missed the barn! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.